Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 20 gallon high I am making a lid for. I have two cut and drilled (for ventilation) pieces of 3/16" glass. I am trying to connect them with a living hinge purchased from NE herpetoculture, on their website it says that 3/16" fits, I believe it does but I am having the worst time getting it in there. Any advice? I can get both corners of one plate in the hinge but the middle bows, even when I work from one side straight across the length of the glass to the other side, inch by inch! I have not even attempted putting the other piece on yet. This drove me crazy tonight. Is there a secret to this or am I just really pushing the limit with 3/16" glass plate?

Thanks!

James

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's a really tight fit. I once tried to pull it out. The glass will break and the plastic will shred before that happens. Make sure you sized it right on the edges, Then start pressing down on side, and move slowly until you get to the other side. Don't do the edges first.

Also, a rubber mallet doesn't hurt. Well it might if you hit the edge of the glass too hard.

Point being is that once it's in, you've got a good hinge there where you'll never have to worry about it coming off.

Jae Le

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I think I got some glass in one by using soapy water where it went into the hinge. Just be sure to rinse it when done, and be careful to keep the glass and your hand dry where you grip so you don't slip and hurt yourself or drop and break the glass somehow.

Reactions: SDK

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It might be worth heating up the hinge in hot water to make it expand. Ideally, once it cools, the plastic will return to its shape and have a nice firm grip on the glass. Just be careful that you don't heat it to the point where it permanently warps!

Wearing gloves with a rubber grip might also help you out, especially if anything is wet. Anything that can help you keep a solid grip on both the hinge and glass can really help you out. Its amazing how much easier it is to build those things when your hand don't slip at all ;)

Good luck!

John

Reactions: SDK

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...that was pretty tough I used the soap and a rubber mallet. I split part of the hinge and for the life of me can not get one side in to the all of the way on one corner. If I push down on the glass I can get it to fit in the top of the tank, no frog will ever escape, let me put it that way. Starting to think I should have just let the two pieces be sliding or hinged them with silicone. Anyway I will have to do a little silicone touch up on the existing hinge, which is functional. It works! But I feel like its a little bit rigged up, maybe I will try a genesis exotic top or use 1/8" glass next time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It did, got it! I also contacted Mike and he made the suggestion of sliding it through the hinge from one side the other to side instead of pushing the hinge down on top of the glass. That helped a lot!

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an additional suggestion, though clean up might be a tad tougher. I recently ran into this issue when re-working a 70 gallon old-school Oceanic Lizard Lounge that I picked up off Craig's List sans the original lid. The tank will eventually be for some Phelsuma, just not certain of what species yet.

Long story short, I ran 2 pieces of 3/16 inch glass, with a middle section using screen (1/4 inch window screen framing is a PAIN to find in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, thankfully had enough left over from when I moved from Albuquerque). The middle is wide enough to accommodate a 20w halogen puck light and the 3/16 hinge material was very easily installed using food grade mineral oil. I loaded a q-tip with the mineral oil and lubed the hinge, carefully got it lined up on a corner and then very gently walked the hinge into place using my thumbs and pressing it every 2 inches. It installed very easy doing this.

Down side is using an oil as I'm not certain if over time this will work its way into the tank itself. I plan to just mix up a decent solution of Dawn original dish soap and try to work in down the sealed portion of the hinge, let it "work" for a little and then rinse well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts