Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone witnessed the frogs they keep do this? My frogs will occassionally just lick the ground. Are they obtaining minerals from this? Could it be them just being curious of something?

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are probably eating microfauna. Mites and baby springtails.
I thought the same at first. However, I do not seed my vivs often at all(once in 6 months), and they generally lick the ground after a good misting. I have scoured the floor of the viv after watching them do this, and I see nothing... I know microfauna is called MICRO for a reason, but they are doing this primarily after a mist only. I thought perhaps it was a lack in mineral needs that was driving this behaviour. If the common opinion is that it IS in fact microfauna, I would feel much better. I would hate to think the frogs were deficient after I try very hard to keep supps that are fresh on hand and use them...

Thanks for the input, Adven2er!

JBear

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
the frogs hunt by movement.there may be some correlation between the droplets of water and the frog's instincts . i believe based on what ive seen like this, that its light reflecting off the water that the frogs are trying to catch (when it absolutely isnt microfauna) but thats purely speculation.

james

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like this theory. To me, it makes good sense! Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
could be eating nemotodes. I observe nemotodes sometimes after I mist. I notice they only move to areas that are moist or that has a biofilm. Nemotodes are in nearly every tank and are very difficult to see unless they are on the glass. My frogs definately prey opportunistically on nemotodes, I've witnessed it many times.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It is also possible that misting disturbed some of the microfauna and caused them to become more active. Even without seeding there will always be something that came in on plants, wood, soil, feeder insects, etc.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i agree tony, and that would be my first assumption, however ive definitely seen the frogs going after mist in areas where microfauna wouldnt likely be present, like on the glass. again it could be, and most probably is, just microfauna, but i cant believe thats the case 100% of the time.

james

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
When I read the title of this thread, "Licking the substrate", I just thought what an awesome punk rock group name that would be. Thanks Jbear!

Take care, Richard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts