Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting 3 leucs n and i was wondering how bold are they in comparison to normal auratus, which i have now. the tank i have is bright and fairly open, should i make it real dense or will they feel ok?

·
Registered
986 Posts
As with any species, some individuals will be more shy than average. However, it has been my experience that leucs are at least as bold as tincs. Of course, having some areas of dense planting will help them feel more secure.

G

·
Leucs are cool!

I have a few leucs in my 150 extra tall tank and they move around the tank a good bit, going throught the "wooded" area of the tank as well as the open areas. They always sleep up toward the top in the back, so in my future tanks for leucs I'll always include some good hiding spots off the ground for them. Mine are very bold, even eating in front of my 5 year old that cant hold still!

My advice would be to give them a dense area in one part of the tank, and an open part in another. Give them a place to hide, and chances are, they'll be out to explore the rest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
This is interesting news to me. I keep 5 leucs (all female...ugh!) and they all seem to hide all of the time. They will eat in front of me, but will never do so if the cage lid is open. Once the lid opens, they scatter everywhere and hide. They seem to be really shy and hardly ever come out into the open parts of their terrarium. I have heard that males are more bold though, but can't vouch for that since I have all females.

Good luck!

Justin

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well I just ordered 4, maybe if I get a bunch of males ( when they mature ) we can trade.

rjm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
leuc shyness

I think leucs are inbetween auratus and tincs. I think they all get more bold as they mature and with more plant cover or leaf litter. Mine are out in the mornings and evenings, but also sporadically through out the day. My male is way more bold then my females, but they are generally a fairly bold frog. I think my tank still needs to grow in before they become even more bold, but the leaf litter is helping for now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My lone little leuc was very shy for about the first 3 month that I had it. It is way too young to know the sex, and I heard that is hard to tell the sexes apart on leucs. I guess I am wonering how you know that your 4 are all female???
Anyway, my little frog is out much more now and seems pretty bold. I used to have to look hard in the tank to find it, now it's out most of the time. I also hope to get it some companions within the next 6 months.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There are five actually. All female. The toepads look the same on all- no difference. They are always plump....very robust. I know what the leucs call sounds like and have never heard it from them. They have been in my care for about 2 1/2 years now. They are all approximately 5 years of age. I am pretty confident in all of this since I have had some friends look at them and agree with me. Just bad luck I guess.

Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts