Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in some leucs. I have searched and found some info on their calling but nothing specific to what I am trying to do.

I have a 55g I have setup in my living room as a show tank. I was planning on some auratus for it but I recently ran across a deal of a 2.1 trio of blue/black auratus that are nearing ready to breed in their own tank. So, now I am up in the air (still may end up putting some green/bronze in the 55 IDK).

My question is, how loud/often are the leucs call. The wifey will kill me if they are annoying. I plan on putting a group of 5 or so in the 55g. You leuc owners, do you think they will be too annoying in a smallish living/tv room? The living room is also near our master bedroom.. so.. I am just afraid of them being too loud in short. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. may not want to go the leuc route then. Save the argument LOL. (then maybe she will let me get some more frogs)
Guess I will keep my search out for a good deal on the blue/bronze or the green/bronze. LOL.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
play the call for your woman, and see if she likes it before you give up on the leucs

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about how often do they call? I know it will vary obviously.. but I am a newb.. Is it constant all day every day.. or is it just occassionaly

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was rebuilding a viv for someone and he happened to have leucs. They were roughly 10 feet away and I could hear them usually unless I had the tv up or something similar. It made my girlfriend let me buy someone's rack and tank long as I got leucs in one of the tanks.

Trust me, just have your girlfriend or wife watch them call just one time and she will love it. They vibrate as they call and it is amazing to see them. They are ALWAYS out. But if you want my honest opinion go, remove auratus from that display age get azureus. Most people will disagree with me but I keep my 4 females in there and don't have to much of an issue unless I skip a feeding then the bigger two bully the other two to the other side of the land with no leaf litter. But I feed on both sides to preventing fighting anyway and have lots of hides to help them feel comfortable. But they are ALWAYS out. They don't give a rats A** that I am walking by or even that I am sitting right next to them typing. They just walk around and ignore me because they know they are the women.

Just remember this is my opinion and not always the best idea. Mine have lived together for over a year and they are very docile females for azureus because there is no male at the time being.

·
Registered
306 Posts
play the call for your woman, and see if she likes it before you give up on the leucs
I agree ,I recently lost my male chocolate 8 months ago and can say that I truly miss it.My "wife" was the first to notice the calling and I think she secretly had an emotional bond to them because of it!!I am in the miidle of a trade to acquire a breeding pair of nominant leucs to get my "fix" while the youngsters that I have grow up! Anyhoo have fun!!!!!!
Allyn

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have anything in the 55g yet... You guys are slowly convincing me on leucs. If I get babies they wont call for a good year or so anyway.. then it would be too late for her to complain :)

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Mine dont call at all in the winter. Occasional calling throughout the day, never after lights out the rest of the time. More frequent calling during breeding, but I love the sound.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you guys convinced me.. I am pretty sure I am going leucs. Looking at my cash situation now. Found leucs for $40 a piece just a couple hours from here. Looking at 5 of them in a 55g.. that sound good?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I have my two breeding pairs of standard Leucomelas in a 55 gallon divided into two equal halves. The males can call and feel they have their own territory and the females don't have a chance to wrestle or eat each other's eggs.

If you start with a group of five, then you can try to pair them up as soon as you see a male calling. Some people claim that they are a great "group" frog, but I find that mine breed best (and cause each other less stress) when they are kept as pairs.

Gooc luck getting started, Richard.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL... such a rough decision on what frog to get when you dont have a lot of room. If I had room for a bunch of types it wouldnt be so difficult. Or if I wasnt trying to fill up a large tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have had leucs for 2 years have never heard them call.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered 5 leucs from Brians Tropicals... Cant wait to get them! :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had seven in a 60 gallon. Very pleasant call like a canary and a cricket in one. Only called when it was warm or after misting. Oh, and they called in the morning, noon, and night. Never bothered me, I thought it was cool. Took a little time for my wife to love it. Sadly, I sold them to get some pumilio. I will get them again I think one day.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have bought from Brian and he is a great guy. I have 2 leucs from him. No doubt from me, you have made a good choice. Don't worry about the breeding for the time. Just enjoy seeing them out exploring top and bottom of the viv. When the time comes, I am sure you will have built another tank or 2 for the breeding pair!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got them and they look great. Been to sick to really enjoy them. Came down with a wicked stomach virus the night they shipped. They are all getting used to their new home!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts