Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm still in the planing stages for my terrarium, and i realized it's pretty important to understand the behaviour of the species i plan on housing... i'm interested in housing 2-4 leucomelas in a 30 Gal hex tank, and have read quite a bit about how they tend to like climbing upwards more than say tincs or other frogs...

this sounds cool and all, but what i'd like to know is exactly how much climbing are we talking about? do they climb the glass? if i created a fake rock wall that's fairly steep, would they be able to climb it to say a terrace i create higher up? or do they still need a sort of gradient or 'natural walkway' that would lead to the 'terrace'?

i'd like to construct the tank such that i can maximize the vertical space for them...

thanks
sam

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sam, if you build it they will climb it.
Yes, they can crawl up glass.
I have a group of 7 and at night they like to wedge theirselves at the very top portion of the tank where the background and lid of the tank meet and that is where they sleep. Give them plenty of room, and they will use every bit of it.

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
http://www.vivariumconcepts.com

·
Registered
269 Posts
My leucs are in a heavily planted tank and do not spend alot of time climbing although they have there favorite sleeping spot on a leaf a few inches off the ground. On the other hand their offspring are in a sparsely planted tank and spend alot of time climbing up the side of the viv. The older the little ones get the less they seem to climb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine climb glass but have difficulty because they tend to slowly slide down on the wet glass. However my background of coco and cork bark is nearly inverted and they climb it all the time. I think a fake rock background would work great. Definently post some pics as u work, currently I'm trying to deside whether to go 55 or 30 hex for my next project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts