Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am new to dart frogs and I need help on which kind of dart I should get. I think I have narrowed it down to these three species. (Leucomelas, Auratus, and Tinctorius.) I know they all have their pros and cons, but I am looking for the one that is the most active, gets along in groups, and is relatively easy to breed.

Thank you for the feed back!

Frogilla

·
Registered
701 Posts
Re: Leucomelas Auratus or Tinctorius?

I can't help you too much, but my auratus green and black is very young but very active and bold.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts

Leucomelas or Auratus are good beginner frogs that do well in groups. Some auratus can be quite shy. IME, Turquoise and Bronze or Costa Rican Green and Black auratus are typically pretty bold. Leucs are a great choice, as well, and have the benefit of a nice, loud call.

·
Registered
802 Posts

At this point, there's nothing we could add that would make one stand out more to you than has already been discussed in previous threads (including the other thread you've already posted on this topic). Use the search function and you'll be able to find plenty of threads where people talk about all the different pros and cons of each species. Maybe even look around on youtube and watch some videos of the frogs to give you somewhat of a feel for each species.

That said, any one of those three would make great beginner frogs. If you choose tincs though, be prepared to keep a pair per viv. Otherwise, small groups of the other two can work. If it were me, I'd say pick the one that you like the best. It's not the kind of decision anyone else can/should make for you and there really isn't a wrong choice to be had.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the advice. Are there different colors for the leucomelas than black and yellow?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Are there different colors for the leucomelas than black and yellow?
Not really. Some are more orange...but there aren't any outside the yellow/orange range (there is a green-foot morph, but I have only seen pics).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks. And which types of tinctorius' are smaller than the others?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Okay, I will be sure to use the search function more often. I have also heard mixed responses on whether or not the auratus' fight in groups or not. Does any body have confirming info about this subject?

·
Registered
446 Posts

Any frog CAN fight in a group.. there is no gaurantee.
Just auratus or leucs are your best bet for having a group.
No gaurantee the female might become jealous and eat the others eggs etc.

Tinc females will more than likely fight another female..

Leucs are yellow/black.. some are more orangish.. also chocolate leucs.. yellow and chocolate.. I recommend leucs. Be prepared for their louder call though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Okay, thanks. How many Leucs vs how many auratus can I fit in an 18x18x24 exo terra vivarium?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi, I have CR Auratus they are quite bold. I also have yellow Galacts. If I was to pick one of these it's a difficult decision. In your Exo I think it would be safe to say 3-4 juvs or 2.1 if you know the sexes

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Leucs tend to be very seasonal. My groups lay a clutch every 1-2 weeks (consisting of 3-6 eggs typically), then take a break for several months. I get most of the clutches in the spring and fall.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
With my leucs, typically about 95% of all eggs eventually become healthy froglets. Most of my leucs are now 3-5 years old - the first year or so of breeding, they did not lay nearly as many eggs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And lastly about the leucomelas breeding, how long does the breeding season last, or how many clutches do you get every spring and fall?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts