Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Dendrobates leucomelas in my vivarium and im getting a pair of pumilios (bastimentos) and i wonder if it would be ok to keep them in the same vivarium or if i need to set up another one.

Thomas.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You will need to set up a 2nd viv for a variety of reasons. The first, the pumilio will most likely be WC and come with a few bugs. Even if these frogs have been treated, it is never good to toss frogs together for the sake of disease prevention alone. You will also find D. pumilio to be aggressive frogs. There has been documentation of D. pumilio killing tankmates. I have personally witnessed a few fights.

How large is your tank?

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Richard, thanks for your answer.
The pumilios are born in captivity , but i have a small quarentine tank were they will go to start with. So i was thinking of adding them to the larger thank with the leucomelas after the quarentine. Ive also heard that the bastimentos can be vicous but i thought it would be against the ones of the same species. Do you think they will attack other species as well?

I could also get a larger vivarium to house them all in, if that would be a solution ,the thing is that i have a problem with were to put another one so i would have to replace the one i have.

Thomas

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you have a 50, but are willing to get a bigger one, wouldn't it be easier and safer to keep the 50, get a smaller one also for the pums, as opposed to one big one. Plus if space is a concern, and you want multiple species, why have a 50 at all?

Pumilio are pretty expensive frogs and a pair in a simple vert setup would be fine. I wouldn't risk $100+ frogs by not giving them ideal conditions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thomas,
Can you give me more information about the pumilio, I really do not feel they are CB, could you be confusing this with farm raised? A pair of true CB bastis would be very expensive.

D. pumilio will fight anything, tincs, vittatus, you name it. I really don't think this is a good idea.

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richard.
They are CB, its a friend of me that breeds pumilos , he has serveral breeding-pairs that arent supposed to be related. so im pretty sure its ok. They are expensive , 125 dollars/frog.
I just wanted to know if they were supposed to fight other frogs and since they are i wont put them in the same viv as my other frogs...

Greg.
I want to have at least a 50 gallon tank so that i can provide the animals i keep with enough space , i keep a pair of Phelsuma sundbergi ladiguensis in the vivarium as well and some rare orchids and fern that i want to give space to spread out. The reason that im asking is that i want to give them the best conditions that i can.
It will be another vivarium for the Pumilios i just have to rearange my apartement and bribe my wife :roll:

Thanks a lot.

Thomas

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thomas,
Good, having CB pumilio is a great start when working with these frogs. Even still, this mix isn't something I would suggest. Why not set something small like a 20H for the pumilio. It wouldn't be too space consuming.

-Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richard,
I will set up a new vivarium for the bastimentos. They are worth it ,its really nice frogs. The ones im getting are bright orange/red with small black spots on the back, and a bright white belly. Im looking forward to get them and i will post some pics here when i do.
Thanks again for your help.

Thomas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts