Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting 4 dendrobate leucs tomorrow morning!
Aaahhhhh am I nervous yet excited.
These guys will be my first PDFs but not my first reptile /amphibian.
I am a proud owner of a stunning chameleon and a very cute crestie!
Now I'm half way done with the 75 gallon viv I'm building for these guys but since
I know they should be quarantined, I had them shipped out.
I have 2 sterilite containers ( a bit bigger then a shoe box)
Filled with some peat moss, leaf litter, springtails, and cuttings of pothos.
I've got a fruit fly culture coming with them and should have 2 more coming by the end of this week. ( from what I've read, I should order some more huh)

Even tho I've read so much and felt like I was prepared, I think I'm going to spend most of tonight reading more and more. Lol.
am I missing anything? Any last minute tips / reminders / words of encouragment?
Appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
its ok to be nervous and excited, however don't worry its not rocket science as long as you develop good husbandry habits you should be fine.

Main thing is watch humidity, feed daily/every other day depending on frogs eating habits be sure to dust flies with a good calcium/vitamin I personally do every other feeding others do once a week..etc...etc..

Main thing is make sure they are all eating properly however they may need a few days to get settled from the trip.

Keep the temps around about 70-74 is ideal

·
Registered
835 Posts
Allen, Doug brought up an excellent point. Get your cultures started ASAP. While it isnt rocket science, you need a bit of time to get comfortable and see what works best for you.

Also, you may want to let everyone know where you live (city and state) to find the closest froggers to you. That way, if you get in a bind, you'll have some go-to folks to step in and help out.

Congrats on the Leucs. They are an awesome species !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just did zoomie! thank you for the advice!
and as for starting my cultures, should i start pulling some out even tho i only have 1 culture at the moment? i ordered 2 more from mike at neherp so i was thinking id wait till those came so i can pull some flies from each to give making my own cultures a go.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Guys, with only two cultures going at a time, your frogs will starve! Cultures crash and new cultures take a couple weeks to start producing. You need to set a day of the week to make new cultures and make them every week! Even with just one frog it is safest to make a culture every week. Throw them out (or isolate them for mite prevention) after one month.
If you are making your own cultures it should be cheap. Something like 50 cents or a buck per culture depending on if you are buying media or making your own. It's no big deal to flush some down the toilet if you have too many. But if you run short, they are like $10 bucks a culture...plus shipping, and they may not be producing yet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I ran two cultures per week of two different medias. One of each. But I started five weeks before frogs arrived to make sure I had my act together. Again, it's not a big deal but you'll find you'll have to tweak things a bit. So to elaborate on Doug's commentary above, you should have 8 cultures at any given time. The oldest go in the trash the day you make new ones.

Make two cultures weekly and without fail. Write the date on the culture cups. If you want to avoid mite problems, never, EVER keep a culture past 4 weeks. The slightest bit of laziness here can allow mites to gain a foothold.

If you only have a single culture right now, I would not endanger it by thinning the herd until your cultures arrive from Mike. And just so you know, Mike is running about three days behind schedule on shipping right now which could potentially be an issue for you.

Probably not a big deal but I have beads of sweat on my upper lip right now just thinking about only having a single culture.

On a positive note, you have a significant number of great froggers in your area. Plenty of temporary insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the above. You never know what will happen and having back ups works wonders.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Congrats! You need to learn how to culture your own fruitflies asap, or you will go broke! http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/62277-guide-making-ff-cultures.html
Guys, with only two cultures going at a time, your frogs will starve! Cultures crash and new cultures take a couple weeks to start producing. You need to set a day of the week to make new cultures and make them every week! Even with just one frog it is safest to make a culture every week. Throw them out (or isolate them for mite prevention) after one month.
If you are making your own cultures it should be cheap. Something like 50 cents or a buck per culture depending on if you are buying media or making your own. It's no big deal to flush some down the toilet if you have too many. But if you run short, they are like $10 bucks a culture...plus shipping, and they may not be producing yet.
I second this strongly! I had a period (about a week) without any food for my forg and it didn't help it gain weight back on! Thankfully now that I have a steady supply going my frog is happy and healthy :) As they say, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You can keep cultures older than one month but you need to isolate it so any mites cannot spread to your good cultures. Obviously you can't start a new culture from a old one without risk. Every viv has mites anyway so you don't have to worry about getting them in there. They just make another snack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:eek: you guys are starting to scare me! haha
and you're right, mike is really behind on his orders. He hasn't gotten a chance to ship my order out yet.
Maybe ill just order 2 cultures from josh's and start culturing my own as soon as i get them.
Assuming i get them weds, or thursday.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you tried finding anything locally yet? Not always best to rely on online distributors for FF's. Check out the West forum. See if you can't make some frogger friends that can help you out if your ever in a bind and vice versa!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok. i just got josh's culturing kit in last night. At the moment i have 3 cultures and i will be starting my own cultures tonight or tomorrow. :D.
Yes, i do have pics and videos! ill upload them here soon. Work has been kicking my butt haha. TY for stressing how important it is to always be ready with extra cultures. Appreciate it guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts