Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought 4 leucs and 2 died, just wondering if they have any special requirements, i also have azureus and cobalt's and they are all doing fine. i take care of them all the same way. i know they are for beginners so I don't know why they died, maybe too young? 1-2 months, also they were shipped to me, thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry about the loss man. We will need a bit more information on why they died, like what they ate and what they were kept in. Sometimes froglets just don't make it though. Post a bit more info that way we can help you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tank Temp?
Humidity?
tank size?
what are you dusting with?
How long have you had them?
Pictures please. It's like the old saying picture is worth a thousand words.

At the moment my biggest concern is the well being of the other 2 luecs. I think you'll agree that we want to make sure they don't end up the sameway. As much info as possiable. the more you help us the more we may be able to help you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right now im keeping them in a temp sterlite 6 qt container. not sure of the temp and humidity but i mist every other day. I got a ten gallon set up for them already but I think they are still too little to be able to find food from it, they were feeding on fruitflies. thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
did they appear healthy when you got them?
how long have you had them for?
Are you dusting with vitamins/calcium?
What else is in the container (spag moss, maybe some leafy plants, film cannisters...)?
Is there signs of mositure in the container? Pic of the container(s) would help.
Does each frog have a seperate container or are they all together?

I'm leaving work now when I get home I'll check the thread and see if we can figure out what happen. We're getting there so don't give up. Hopefully we can figure what happen. There are alot of very smart people on this board so i'm confident we can figure out what hapen and how to ensure you're other fros live a long fruitful life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's sphagman moss in there on the bottom and a film canister. dusting with vitamins and calcium every other day. I got them a week ago and I watched one of them eat so I assumed the others would too, thanks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Take some pictures of the container they were in, too, when you get a chance. Is there any leaf litter or any other hiding area? Does the substrate look moist, or is there any way for them to hydrate if they are dry( like a shallow water dish or water droplets on the plants/ container walls?)
How are the other leucs doing as well as the azureus and cobalts and are all being housed the same way?
Bryan

*Edit*- what kind of lighting are they under, do they get any direct sunlight from a window nearby, and how warm is the exterior room temperature? Frogs, especially young ones, can overheat very easily and ideally should not be exposed to temperatures over 80 degrees, so watch the temperatures closely as it heats up outside.

·
Registered
610 Posts
*Edit*- what kind of lighting are they under, do they get any direct sunlight from a window nearby, and how warm is the exterior room temperature? Frogs, especially young ones, can overheat very easily and ideally should not be exposed to temperatures over 80 degrees, so watch the temperatures closely as it heats up outside.
This came to mind on the drive home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
right now im keeping them in a temp sterlite 6 qt container. not sure of the temp and humidity but i mist every other day. I got a ten gallon set up for them already but I think they are still too little to be able to find food from it, they were feeding on fruitflies. thanks.
Are all the frogs in the same container?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got 3 seperate containers for the 3 species, each species in there own 6 qt shoe boxes, they have magnolia leaves and film canisters, the sphagnum moss is very moist and I mist every other day when not dust feeding. will get some pics up of containers asap, thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as for the lighting they are not in direct sunlight but I do have a 6 gallon fish tank next to them and that light is on from 8 am to 8 pm, also underneath them is the light I have for the plants in there future homes thats on the same time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sounds like you have your 6 qt containers ontop of lights? Im thinking this is a temperature issue.

Harbor Freight has a infrared temperature gun for about $25 when its on sale ( most always on sale) and its an invaluable tool. If you dont have a local Harbor Freight, check ebay. (Heres one).

·
Registered
610 Posts
It sounds like the housing and humdity is prettu good. T8 do put out alot of heat. I would definately check the temps. I don't know where you live but in some area's of the US temps have been pretty high which could make things a little worst.

I got a temp gun for under $20 at newegg. worst case go to a pet store and by one of those palstic temp strips for $2. They tend to read a little on the high side in my experience but it may be worth it. If your temps are above 80move the shoe box.

Also, where are the frogs hanging. Are they out and about hoppin around or hunkered under the leaf litter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's actually pretty cold out here in the Bay Area. so I got the colbalts on the bottom stack, leucs in the midddle and azureus on top, i think if it was a heat issue the cobalts would feel it first, unless leucs are more sensitive? thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when I first got them they were hiding but now they all seem to be out in the open, the leucs they seem to be hiding more often under the leafs and canister but right now they are out in the open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts