Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was the first day my pair of leucs started breeding again. Unfortunately Before winter hit they were laying jelly. Spring comes around and they are doing the same thing. I think my female leuc has a problem and I really wish she didnt as she was my first dart frog. She had laid 1 egg before and that was it. I e-mailed josh from joshs frogs and he asked questions and I told him I dust 2x's a week with herp, rep cal, and repashy calcium plus ICB. He said I was doing everything right, and suggested she is having a hard time passing eggs.

Now does anyone think this would cause problems for her later down the road being full of eggs? I would really like to send her to a good home for free so I can purchase another female for my male.:(

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If she is infact having a problem passing eggs, you could have a problem down the road. If she cant pass eggs then she will become quite bloated, and can die. How large/fat is she right now? It would be very helpful if you can post a picture or two of her so we can take a look at her.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried to take a video with phone but it looks like crap, so I took out the 30d and my battery was dead. So the battery is charging.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a group of leucs, 1.4 that were doing the same thing. I had added 2-1 year olds to a group of 3-5year old females. One of the younger frogs ended up being a male and finally came of age and began calling. The female's have always been very dominant/submissive with each other. I then began finding jelly masses with no eggs in them, however there were white membranes where the eggs should have been. I finally watched a clutch being laid that actually did have eggs. 10 minutes later, the eggs were gone. Now, as soon as I see eggs, I keep an eye on them and make sure the male fertilizes them, and then pull them immediately.

If you have multiple females, i'd guess that you have egg eating going on. I am now working on splitting down my group into maybe a 1.2 or adding a few males (they are in a 75 gallon, so I have moderate space for each frog).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a group of leucs, 1.4 that were doing the same thing. I had added 2-1 year olds to a group of 3-5year old females. One of the younger frogs ended up being a male and finally came of age and began calling. The female's have always been very dominant/submissive with each other. I then began finding jelly masses with no eggs in them, however there were white membranes where the eggs should have been. I finally watched a clutch being laid that actually did have eggs. 10 minutes later, the eggs were gone. Now, as soon as I see eggs, I keep an eye on them and make sure the male fertilizes them, and then pull them immediately.

If you have multiple females, i'd guess that you have egg eating going on. I am now working on splitting down my group into maybe a 1.2 or adding a few males (they are in a 75 gallon, so I have moderate space for each frog).
Unfortunately its a male and a female and thats it. I had six and weeded out a pair and then sold the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I would also make sure that there isn't an issue with snails or slugs. I have two tanks with slugs and I have to be very careful to take the eggs out as soon as they are laid.

Richard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Snails and slugs eating frog eggs?? Wow. Just another reason to hate those little boogers.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Just to be clear.. frogs unlike mammals and birds, don't have to worry about oviducts being too small to pass the eggs unless something like a tumor is blocking the passage (but you would have to have both ovaries blocked)... If she is passing jelly, then you know that she shouldn't have retained eggs as the jelly is formed pretty high up in the reproductive tract.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Have you tried cycling them down by drying them out a little and cutting back on feedings and then cycle them back up again?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
She's a very pretty frog with good body weight. She doesn't look at all "egg-bound", so I think it is a matter of time before she produces good eggs.

Also, slugs and snails can be present in small numbers without being noticed.

If you hear the male calling and find them courting, watch them carefully and look inside the coco-hut as soon as they leave it. This is the best chance to find eggs before anything else happens to them.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have had a few females over the years that bred with no eggs produced, some after time and several failed breedings begin to produce again, others do not, some on rare occasion go through normal nesting patterns with no eggs produced but getting fatter with each breeding until they eventually die very fat. In my mind maybe there was a rupture that let the eggs free in the body cavity. Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She's a very pretty frog with good body weight. She doesn't look at all "egg-bound", so I think it is a matter of time before she produces good eggs.

Also, slugs and snails can be present in small numbers without being noticed.

If you hear the male calling and find them courting, watch them carefully and look inside the coco-hut as soon as they leave it. This is the best chance to find eggs before anything else happens to them.

Good luck, Richard.
It takes them all day before they finally pick a spot, and I usually do check a couple hours later and she is still in hut, she leaves I go in and check and their is just jelly. Im sure it would take time for snails to devour the eggs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It takes them all day before they finally pick a spot, and I usually do check a couple hours later and she is still in hut, she leaves I go in and check and their is just jelly. Im sure it would take time for snails to devour the eggs.
Could she be eating her own eggs? Maybe you should interrupt her one day?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I talked to Josh from Josh's Frogs and he said he has never heard of any instances of eating own eggs but other females eating eggs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.