Dendroboard banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I very much agree in allowing them to morph in the tank.

I do think that air exchange is important and even serves a dynamic of instinctive impetus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Might I suggest (and I should preface, I have never kept these frogs) perhaps modifying the 10G aquarium the tadpoles are in, rather than moving them? I think you can likely allow for them to fully complete metamorphosis before moving them, as it might be stressing them with temperature and climate changes (or just the process of catching and moving them).

I might suggest getting a glass lid for the tadpole tank to keep it covered at this point, and once they start popping front legs, lowering the water level to an inch or so and giving them some areas to climb out on, such as larger pieces of wood, or even cork. Once their tails are gone, you can then move them with less worry, and begin feeding springtails or melanogaster as needed.
Hmm so that's an interesting idea. Main limitation here is the filter -- i have a hang on back filter, because I have so many tadpoles, there's a lot of waste. So it wouldnt work with a lower water level, and also it would be near impossible to make a lid that would fit around it which theycouldnt escape from. They really do love to squeeze themselves in the tiniest nooks and crannies.

I guess now that there are less in the tadpole aquarium i could switch back to the foam bubble filter but it would make me nervous. I will keep it in the back of my head though, because it definitely would make my life a lot easier.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm so that's an interesting idea. Main limitation here is the filter -- i have a hang on back filter, because I have so many tadpoles, there's a lot of waste. So it wouldnt work with a lower water level, and also it would be near impossible to make a lid that would fit around it which theycouldnt escape from. They really do love to squeeze themselves in the tiniest nooks and crannies.

I guess now that there are less in the tadpole aquarium i could switch back to the foam bubble filter but it would make me nervous. I will keep it in the back of my head though, because it definitely would make my life a lot easier.
Just remove the filter altogether once they start popping from legs. At that point they should all be pretty close to morphing out anyway, so will be developing the ability to breathe. I find the most delicate phase is the transformation from water to land (based on dart frog / bombina experience anyway). Water quality is of less a concern, as they won't be eating as they absorb their tail anyway, so you don't need to feed.

Make some changes for your next clutch anyway, and then you can measure the success. It's a learning experience and half the fun of the hobby!

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
For the one communal tadpole tank that I have, I use one of those completely self-contained, internal filters (like this). It was really cheap on Ebay and has worked really well for me. With the spray bar, it has a pretty gentle flow and mine is adjustable. That would mean just the cord would go out the top, right, which would allow you to cover the tank maybe?

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Unrestricted exchange of air for developing morphlets, is an option that has had outcomes of low mortality even in unfavorably overcrowded circumstances.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts