Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first, dart tank, that i have just finished i have a major dilema with the lighting. Originally I was using a heat lamp which provided..ok lighing and kept the tank in a good temp range. The problem is i came home today to find my tank at like 90 degress. Luckily I dont have anything in there but plants so its not a big deal.
So here is my question I think I need to find, A some other means of heating the tank. And B some other form of lighting. I know compact flurecent is great and every thing but i really dont want to drop $60+ for the kit and $40 on two bulbs. What other options do I have? I did a search and read something about T5 or T8 bulbs what are these? Are there any optons of bulbs, be it flouresent or compact, that can fit in the regular Aquarium light hoods? Also how much kelvin do I need (i.e 5500k, 6500k etc.) and how many strips do u recommend i have. It is a 25 or 30 ex high (18 highx 12 deep x 24 wide).
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lance said:
500 WATTS of 6500 k for $34.97, found this at Home Depot in the security lighting section, going to give it a try on my next big vivarium, here's the web page of the manufacturer
http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm can't beat that price and replacement bulbs are only
$14

I have two of these on my 40 gallon viv, orchids are growing, moss is thriving, plus, the Home Depot takes returns no questions asked if the ballast ever burns out.

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
I used something quite a bit like that Lance. Mine were worklights. Same design and bulb, also made my LOA.

The bulbs didn't last long for me.... and these lights are very bright and very warm.

Give them a shot... let me know if the bulbs are still working for you in 6 months.

s

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much are the bulbs? Also, how much heat is produced? I need some for my (plant only) display tanks, and I'm really having a hard time deciding on the lighting-- all I know is I want the brightest I can get for a decent price. What are the differences between this, the screw-in cf, and those reef-esque ones (that I traditionally though of as cfs)? I'm no expert on this stuff, but I am interested in getting good lighting for the plants.
J

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well replacements for that model are just under $10. That's not too bad $20/fixture/year if it's good quality...
J

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
CPF's are supposedly supposed to last longer though Justin.

These fixtures also singed the heck out of the plants at the top of my tank. I most likely should have had the light a little farther away from the top.

s

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About how far would you say? If I suspended them 6-12" from the top would that work better? Also, do you think these would be the way to go?
J

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Just a word of warning on the heat of the compact bulbs. I just completed planting a vertical ten, and was trying out some differen't lights. I have this one cf, made by cooper lighting, that has three double ended tubes about 8" long each, laying flat, and is 65W. Anyways I was trying it out to see how much it would heat the tank, and it cracked the top panel of glass. The bulb was about a 1/4" off of the top. I found the bulb at Farm and Fleet in Hudson WI, they were being clearanced for a whopping $7.00!
And hey, lets be careful out there :shock: !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What exactly is the difference between these lights and the type you get at ahsupply?
J

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOA floodlights

Just a note on these lights: there much more reliable if you remove and remotely mount the ballast curcuitry away from the heat produced by the lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts