Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clay background and ive learned my lesson. Dont mist too much is causes clay to collapse. I discovered after my lights had turned off that a clay shelf had fallen on top of my other plants. It had a brom on it and my lamasi was in for the ride he was in the brom through the whole thing.

Point being DONT MIST YOU CLAY TOO MUCH!! I intend to let mine dry a little to hopefully rebond and not fall again.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Ed pointed out to me that the microbes and plant roots need time to establish themselves to help the structure hold together, before you go and water the clay considerably---perhaps this is contributing to these 'collapses'. The obligatory time period for this to happen (whatever that is) is not considered and the clay is not sound b/c of the daily heavy misting.
Mine is still up going on four months (and hopefully will stay) with a big piece of wood sticking out of it and I just do spot sprays if it is needed for tads. No full tank misting whatsoever.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i think im going to let it dry some and only mist the plants in the spots that they are placed to hopefully avoid this again.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
A bromeliad full of water is a lot of stress on a small section of the background, particularly if the background is not well stabilized with roots etc.. Think of it as a short lever inserted into the background and then push down on it slowly.

Ed

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had this happen and fortunately my frogs were ok. But once my plants rooted in and moss started growing. I full mist my tank for 30 seconds every other hour to keep humidity and simulate the rainy season and my clay background is holding strong :) so I think the lesson would be don't over mist until plants have time to root.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Erosion on a small scale.... fascinating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts