Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have had lesser waxwroms for about a year now and hadn't really ever thought about feeding them to my smaller frogs.
Today I was sorting out some bigger ones for my bicolors and vittatus when I thought why not see if I can use the very tiny ones for the castaneoticus and green pumilios.
Well, I just put them in and one of the casts is sitting in a petri dish stuffing itself.The pums are up high in the 20 vert I have for them so it will be cool to see if they get into them.
OK, enough babbling, anyone have a better way to sort them then I do?
I makes sure my wife isn't going to be around and take my cultures upstairs on the dining room table and lay out newspapers and start tearing into the media.When I get the ones I have sorted for the phyllobates I then clean up as much media as I can then fold the paper and dump the tiny ones into a dish.
I have just noticed my casts trying to eat them thru the sides of the petri dish, should I cover the sides with eletrical tape so they can only see them from the top and not the sides?
Ok, I'm cleaning my basement so better get back to work,LOL.
Later,
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, Just to let you all know my green pums ate all the ones I provided them.I'm kinda kicking myself for not trying them earlier.They are a great food source just for the fact that they can be fed to small frogs when they are small and to the bigger frogs when they are close to pupating.Not to mention watching how my bicolors love to chase the moths around :lol:
Mark W.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I usually use a glass baking pan, and lay it on something dark, usually the dark brown carpet, that way, you can see them better than on light colored paper. I usually pick them out of the media with tweezers, which is very time consuming. I wonder if using the funnel and heat lamp method would work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here are two methods that have worked for me:

First, If you have a somewhat drier areas on your viv, you could put a few cocoons to hatch, mate and seed your viv with lots of eggs. Then you would have lots of tiny lil worms crawling. Perfect size for tiny tumbnails.

Cons: if you are using lesser waxworms, watch out for moth escapes when you open the viv lid. Heard stories about them liking pantry.

Second, you need 16/12 oz deli containers. Make holes on the lid with a push pin. Put a small amount of food and about 25 of worms ready to metamorph/cocoons.

Wait until the moths hatch, breed and died. The new worms will hatch out and begin to eat. Due to the population density and food scarce, the worms will begin to move out of the bran mix looking for more food.

When you see the worms begin to climb and crawl out thru the small holes, just put the whole container into the viv and let the party begin.

SB

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Froglady:
You can use a large (the bigger the better) funnel and a heat lamp to get insects out of forest debris, compost, dirt etc.. You just put the funnel above a collection container, put some of the insect laden debris in, and put the heat lamp a few inches above the funnel. The insect burrow down to try and get away from the heat, and eventually fall out of the hole in the funnel.
I've only tried this a couple of times, and it seemed like a lot of time (and dirt) went into getting a meal for the frogs. I think if you had a huge funnel setup, it would be a little more realistic. Quite a variety of bugs came out though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts