Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Well my birthday is this month so we decided to do a special on all of our LED Light Systems. Our 10gallon vert LED light system is now available, and a 20gal, 40gal, and 10 gallon rack system are all on pre-order.

For the rest of this month you can save 10% on all LED light systems by using coupon code "LEDS" at AAAfrogs.com

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Any specs available, like the number and spectrum of each of the three LED types and their wattages?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd prefer not to give out too many details for obvious reasons. But what I can tell you:

There are 3 different types of LEDs. On the 10gallon there are a total of 20 LEDs.
The three different LEDs each have their own spectral peak, which we picked for plant growth and over all appearance.

ie: 450nm, 650nm.

The power supply is 12VDC.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Sounds like corporate espionage...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys Aaron is out of town right now but I will ask him to give you a run down on the LED lights as soon as he is back :) wish I could myself but as the resident marketing guy my knowledge of the techinical details is limited! We are really incredibly proud with the end product both in looks and performance and know those of you who have ordered already will be too!

Speak soon

Cam

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are these being manufactured elsewhere, or are you wiring them in-house? Also, will they be UL listed, or tested?
yes they are ul approved, and we are the sole manufacturer and do all construction. if i can get my hands on a light meter i will give an overall lum. reading, but dont want to give to many specific details out, as campbell mentioned we are very proud of these. sending from phone sry for short reply.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I still do not understand giving the specs out. If Im going to buy a light, I want to know what the total wattage is, what brand LEDs are used and what drivers and buck packs are used before I buy.

I can understand you do not want people copying your design, but asking this things does not seem like an issue to me.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I still do not understand giving the specs out. If Im going to buy a light, I want to know what the total wattage is, what brand LEDs are used and what drivers and buck packs are used before I buy.

I can understand you do not want people copying your design, but asking this things does not seem like an issue to me.
Why do you need to know this seemingly trivial information? Does the LED light fixture work and put out adequate light for your needs? If the answer is yes then you should be satisfied.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Because I want to know what im buying thats why. Every other Light manafacturer list the specs i.e. 20 1W white Cree leds. mounted on a heat sink with on/off switch.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Why do you need to know this seemingly trivial information? Does the LED light fixture work and put out adequate light for your needs? If the answer is yes then you should be satisfied.
If I don't know how many watts this fixture uses, how would I know if it puts out "adequate light" for my needs?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I thought I was asking a simple question. I have ordered from aaafrogs several times and have been happy will all purchases. I do not need to know all the spec details, I was just asking as I have before what the total wattage is, brand of leds used, if it has a heat sink. I think those are important questions to know.

I know this is not a high powered lighting for a reef tank.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Because I want to know what im buying thats why. Every other Light manafacturer list the specs i.e. 20 1W white Cree leds. mounted on a heat sink with on/off switch.
Every other light manufacturer is probably quite a bit bigger and can afford a lawsuit if their product design is stolen. That being said I see where you're coming from.

If I don't know how many watts this fixture uses, how would I know if it puts out "adequate light" for my needs?
How did you know when you lit your tank in the first place?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I meet up with Aaron in the morning and we will try and work out some way to fill u in on some more of the details - we have been prototyping for the past three months but I'm sure we can give some more info without essentially giving away the full how to on it's construction etc :) I can understand the curiosity don't worry we will sort something out for you regarding this

Have a great night!

Cam

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay. So here are some details. If you feel you need more details feel free to pm me or email me personally at [email protected] As Campbell and others have hinted too, we want to give out as much information as possible, but being the first commercially produced light system specifically for vertical dart frog vivariums you can see why we're proud of the products, and the work and research that went into them was quite a bit more than I think I would have liked.

One: watts pertains to power drawn, not light output. IE: a 15W cfl may be the equivalent to a 60W normal incandescent bulb in light output. LUMINOUS INTENSITY pertains to the output of light, and light temp or spectral peak (nm) is where the LEDs wavelength peaks on your spectral graph.

So in our LED light systems we use 3 different LEDs (in the 10gal version there are 20x 5mm LEDs.) Some warm, some cool temps. SO different nm peaks. (there are many threads through out dendroboard that go into different spectral peaks and what you would want for plants.) IE: 430-450nm, 630nm-660nm.

The Luminosity mcd (thousandths of a candela) rating on the bulbs we use range from 1400 to 15000. Keep in mind that the viewing angle will effect what this really means to you. IE: a 2000 mcd 30° LED puts out just as much light as am 8000 mcd LED with a 15° viewing angle. We played around with viewing angles A LOT in designing this as that is the problem w/ Lighting a vert tank. Not the temps, not the light out put, thats easy that can be done w/ any lighting type. But getting the light to fill the depth and height of a vert is where the trick is. BUT then you have to worry about shadows, and the array as far as placement of the LEDs becomes a factor.

and we do not need or use heat sinks. The only reason you would need a heat sink is 1: You're using LEDs that would blind any living creature (ie: ssc-p7 leds lol) or two you're using ac power and having the transformer in your hood. 1: stupid, 2: stupid and hot, 3: why? Using a DC adapter (Like what your phone charger uses) seems safer yeah? And again, LEDs-no heat. Temps in the 10gal we used for testing remained at room temp. nice.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts