Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of using only LED lighting for my new setup but was curious how others have handled the lack of heat issue. If you're using LEDs only, are you supplementing the lights with a heat pad or other source; or is the bib hitting a good temperature without it? With winter coming on it's definitely a concern, although I probably won't have it frog ready until the springtime.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont have an issue with heat, but I do have a false bottom with the bottom filled with water and an underwater heater. keeps the humidity up and the temps just right

·
Registered
136 Posts
I currently have some LED lights on my 20L tank. I live in WI and it is getting that time where my tank is starting to get colder than I would like, so I currently have a heated blanket draped over the tank on low, which is doing quite well at maintaining the temperature. Last weekend, I actually went out and bought a sidewall/ bottom tank heater. I am going to test it out this weekend to see how it works in comparison.

I really like how the electric blanket works over the top, but I don't like how it covers them up. I like to walk by and look at them and with the blanket there it is just a pain.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use LEDS ... naturally :cool:

But have put back in a few full spectrum CFLS mixed w/ the LEDS to up the heat a few degrees.

Works great and as soon as spring rolls around ....I will put back in the LEDs and go back to 100% LED.

But I should also add that my frogs are in a real cool room in the winter.

I have been told by some folks with much MUCH more experience than me that they can go pretty cool... and dropping 10 degrees at night is fine.

:D
Todd

·
Banned
777 Posts
I use LEDS ... naturally :cool:

But have put back in a few full spectrum CFLS mixed w/ the LEDS to up the heat a few degrees.

Works great and as soon as spring rolls around ....I will put back in the LEDs and go back to 100% LED.

But I should also add that my frogs are in a real cool room in the winter.

I have been told by some folks with much MUCH more experience than me that they can go pretty cool... and dropping 10 degrees at night is fine.

:D
Todd
True with the temperature changes. My frog room stays at 74-76 during the day and drops to 64 at night.

Years back when I kept my collection in my classroom I had a issues with temperature as the heat / air was turned off when school was not in session. I used under tank heat pads (small). Tanks were 10 gallon horizontals to 18 cube exo's. All had hydroton false bottoms with water. This worked for years to keep the temperatures up in the tanks during the winter months.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning to build a wooden viv. Should I be aware of anything with using a undertank heater?

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I first tested my tank heater I used it on the side of the tank and the back of the pad got quite warm. So if possible I would try to lift the tank up so that the pad won't touch the wood. I don't think it would get hot enough to hurt anything but I guess you never know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts