Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working with a 36x18x36. I have the exoterra compact top canopy that holds 4 bulbs
I want to do 3 NEherps VG13 growlights and 1 UVB 10 CFL.

However, NEherps product description for the exo compact top says "Never mix CFL bulbs and LEDs in a single fixture, since doing so will cause the LED(s) to overheat."

In my house I mix LED with CFLs all the time and nowhere on the internet can I find anything that says it would be an issue, other than this line on NEherp. Has anyone mixed them?
What do you guys do for optimal grow light while also providing some UVB for the frogs?
My growlights need to be pretty strong because Im working with a 36high

·
Administrator
5,080 Posts
nowhere on the internet can I find anything that says it would be an issue
Web search for "heat degradation LED". CFLs throw a lot of heat, while LEDs need to get rid of heat (that's non-disposable ones have heat sinks).

UVB is not necessary for general care of dart frogs, as they use dietary D3 well. If it is used for some reason, it needs to be metered for safe use. The go-to hobby meter is a Solarmeter 6.5R.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Probably best to avoid using CFL with the LED they may burn out your LEDs if they get too hot. I remember when I added LED strips for my TV they advised against plugging in the lights while they were wrapped up together because the heat would fry them. I mean its not certain it will happen, but if you consider the cost of the LEDs I probably would not take the chance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Web search for "heat degradation LED". CFLs throw a lot of heat, while LEDs need to get rid of heat (that's non-disposable ones have heat sinks).

UVB is not necessary for general care of dart frogs, as they use dietary D3 well. If it is used for some reason, it needs to be metered for safe use. The go-to hobby meter is a Solarmeter 6.5R.
Thanks for the help! So its nothing electrical, just the little heat the CFL puts off in such close proximity to the LEDs. Exactly what I was looking for

·
Administrator
5,080 Posts
just the little heat the CFL puts off
Well, it isn't a "little" heat -- CFLs are horribly inefficient. But, yes, it is the heat and the fact that LEDs need to be kept cool. Well, CFLs should be kept cool, too -- they have the same issues with lumen degradation and premature failure that LEDs do.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There are a couple of other benefits of LED over CFL
Length of life. LEDs last a lot longer.
At the end of their life LEDs are putting out about 70% of the light that they had when they were new. CFLs, at the end of their life are putting out about 20% of the light that they had when they were new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts