Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have crabapple and maple in my yard and have access to endless oak. Was wondering if I can use these and how to nuetrilize pest out of them, thanks

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
They will work just fine. Wrap in wet paper towels and microwave on high for 5 minutes

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Maple is said to break down faster than others which just means you'll have to replenish it more often. The Oak should last longer. Not sure about the longevity of the crabapple.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I love maple leaves. I boil them and use maple as the base layer, then oak or tulip poplar as the top layer. The maple breaks down really fast, but seem to give the springtails alot to eat. Vivariums set up with maple leaves smell better IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a small town park about four blocks from my house. It is full of trees that are hundreds of years old, and all the leaves I could want, for free. Small town park, so they don't care if I'm there stuffing bags full.

Oh yeah, and they conveniently rake them up in huge piles about twice a week. If I get there before they dispose of them, I can take as many as I want. Lucky me.

-Troy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Be careful for pesticides and fertilizers. They can be on leaves or on the ground. If you dont know if a pesticide was used, I would not use the leaves. I only get leaves off the trees in my yard, and not from the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.