Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I just got a dart from vivarium setup and was wondering how I could get leaf litter? I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and I saw some other posts talking about live oak and magnolia. Does that mean I can go outside, pick some and put them in the tank or what?
Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yes, you can gather your leaves from outside. Make sure you get them from a pesticide/pollution free area and then you need to boil or bake them before adding them to the viv. (so they're sterile and won't introduce anything bad). Use leaves that won't break down quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most of the leaves you see for sale on here are used for a few reasons.

1. They break down much more slowly than other types found up north.

2. Microfauna prefer certain types of leaf litter over others.

3. Asthetics. Sea grapes, magnolias, palm fronds and more eye catching than others.

4. Water retention. I've found that certain leaf types can hold water and help increase humidity if necessary. Leaves like giant ficus elastica even make small pools or puddles of water that can last for months and can be a potential source for tadpole deposition.

So yes!! Absolutely you can use leaves from other sources like your backyard. Keep in mind the ones you use might not be the most beneficial to the viv and your frogs.

Good luck with your new viv!!! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts