Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I ordered on monday (leaf litter, springtails, isopods) is still held up, and wont be arriving for another week or so. I had planned on picking up some frogs Sunday. Ill postpone if I have to, but I have cultured fruit flies and with the exception of the leaf litter and micro fauna the viv is done.

I live in southern NY, what kind of trees around here would be ok to use as leaf litter. Im cool with sterilizing them, I have an awesome basswood tree outside my house and it drops slender two inch leaves with its seed pods so theyre dried out but only the ground a few days and Id like to use some of them in the tank... Could i use these leaves?

btw if anyone in the area has isopods, springtails, or leaf litter for sale locally Id be really grateful

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You should have oaks and maples around, both of these would work. They won't last as long as mag leaves, but will do the trick till you get your supplies delivered. Plus they will be great springtail food when they start to decompose.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Everything I ordered on monday (leaf litter, springtails, isopods) is still held up, and wont be arriving for another week or so. I had planned on picking up some frogs Sunday. Ill postpone if I have to, but I have cultured fruit flies and with the exception of the leaf litter and micro fauna the viv is done.

I live in southern NY, what kind of trees around here would be ok to use as leaf litter. Im cool with sterilizing them, I have an awesome basswood tree outside my house and it drops slender two inch leaves with its seed pods so theyre dried out but only the ground a few days and Id like to use some of them in the tank... Could i use these leaves?

btw if anyone in the area has isopods, springtails, or leaf litter for sale locally Id be really grateful

Well i herd ppl using maple leaves. The closest place to get springtails is neherpetoculture.com.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts