Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many successful small vivs covered in leaf litter, but most of those vivs are for darts or tropical frogs. I'm going to be keeping some pond frogs and there isn't much leaf litter where they live. Their habitat is filled with tall grass. So I'm wondering if leaf litter is really important to species that don't usually have it in their habitat. I know it's probably a good idea to have a few big leaves for the frogs to hide under. If lots of leaf litter isn't important to some species, then should I plant things that are more natural to their habitat, like tall grasses? What are some other options to maximize surface area in a small tank?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
your pond frogs eat larger food, right? leaf litter is excellent for breeding microfauna that your frogs might ignore. i think you're right on trying to emulate their habitat.

good drift wood and a background with "shelves" will help add surface area.

cant wait to see them morphed out.

-brett

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your pond frogs eat larger food, right? leaf litter is excellent for breeding microfauna that your frogs might ignore. i think you're right on trying to emulate their habitat.

good drift wood and a background with "shelves" will help add surface area.

cant wait to see them morphed out.

-brett
Thanks for the quick reply!

These pond frogs are the size of larger darts. They grow to around 1.5 inches. I've read that they eat microfauna, but that was only one website. The rest said they mainly eat crickets and that is my experience from the past. I think younger ones may eat small bugs like springtails, but I have a screen coer on the tank and I don't want bugs in my house. Will springtails crawl up the back wall or do they stay on the floor?

I was going to make some ledges on the back wall, but my great stuff overheated and melted all over the place, then I ran out of great stuff. I have two pieces of driftwood, one of which is one of those great pieces with lots of shaping. I'll throw a few large leaves on the floor of the viv and I'll find some pond grasses to grow in the water plus some tall land grasses.

·
Registered
527 Posts
springtails won't escape from the top. they stay in the moist lower regions. they can definitely hop, but only a few inches. i've never seen them climb up the glass before.
-brett

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be helpful to tell us exactly what you are looking to keep so that we can best tailor our advice.
Pacific Chorus Frogs

Springtails will stay at the bottom of the tank under leaf litter eating decaying matter.
So they aren't able to crawl up the Great Stuff - Black Silicone - Peat Moss background and out the screen? Sorry for asking again. I just have to be EXTREMELY sure they aren't able to. I can't have springtails crawling around in my house! :eek:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Springtails are so small you wouldnt notice if a few got out..

That said, they wouldnt leave the moist substrate. If they did, they wouldnt last 2 minutes out of the vivarium. They dry up and become dust.

Good luck with your Pacific Chorus Frogs. Post some pics of them!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That said, they wouldnt leave the moist substrate. If they did, they wouldnt last 2 minutes out of the vivarium. They dry up and become dust.

Good to know. I'll get some leaf litter to keep them in. How many should I put in the tank to start a culture, or to feed the frogs for a long time? Will a culture start in a small pile of leaf litter because I have moss covering most of the viv's floor? I have a few places where I could put the leaf litter in the front of the tank, and behind the driftwood in the tank I can completely cover in leaf litter.

Will any kind of leaves work as leaf litter? If so, are dried or living leaves better? If living leaves are better, will they stay soft and moist if I mist them daily?

I have a vivarium build thread here. My oldest tad has all of his legs and 2/3 of his tail left. I may put him in the viv by tomorrow if he's ready to breath a bit of air.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

Unless they take up residence in your sinus.. see Biology of the springtails (Insecta ... - Google Books go down to page 3 and read...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It was due to using a malfunctioning Pooter.

Ed

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found two trees yesterday that looked like oak to me. I just wanted to make sure they're oak before I boil them and dry them to put them in my viv as leaf litter.

Here's the first kind of leaf I got. It has those little tiny threads on it like spikes just like the one in the picture does...

And my second type of leaf looks like this one. It is more oddly shaped, as some of the pieces of the leaf are huge and others are really small...

Are those safe for my viv? I have a few hundred magnolia leaves, so if magnolia would be better I can use just those instead. :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
that second one is oak and will work if you sanitize it. You can't go wrong with mag leaves, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts