Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone could give me some pointers on what they use for leaf litter? Can you buy a comercial mix from anyone?

G

·
If you can find oak or magnolia trees in your area, collect the dropped leaves from these...they work nicely.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i have no idea what oak or magnolia trees look like, let alone if there are any around town here. I got mine from a very helpful member of the board.

G

·
Oaks are lobed leaved plants. This means they have prominate depressions in the sides of the individual leaves. Spanish and Red oaks normally have more of a jagged edd to them with less of a indentation. Their leaves are normally 5 to 9 inches long. Scarlet, Pin, Post, English, and White oaks have very noticable lobes ranging from 4-7 lobes depending on species. To get pictures of these oaks, just type in oak on google.

Magnolia's have huge, thick, and waxy leaves. Normally 6 to 12 inches long. They are noramally broad all the way to the tip which suddenly comes to a sharp point. Magnolias are more south eastern plants. They constantly shed their leaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts