Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’ve read through the threads on Matala, Turface, open cell filter foam, ABG and still a little curious. What’s the latest substrate, soil layers for the bottom of the tank? I’m THINKING Matala super dense, a layer of open cell filter foam, screen mesh/weed block, turface with?or without? Crushed charcoal and leaf litter. Yes? No? Adjustments? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "the latest"...

Any well designed, planned, and implemented use of a drainage layer, substrate barrier and appropriate substrate will work (topped with a thick layer of leaf litter) for dart frogs.

I use egg crate for the false bottom, then fibreglass screen for the substrate barrier then ABG substrate, topped with LOTS of leaf litter.

You can switch any of those for an acceptable alternate without compromising the usefulness of the setup.

You can switch:
  • the egg crate for matala or leca
  • the ABG for turface or calcium bearing clay
I don't tend to use a ton of terrestrial plants, so for my next build I'm contemplating going with:
  • Egg crate
  • Fibreglass screen
  • Leca as my "substrate" (would function virtually the same way as turface does)
  • LOTS of leaf litter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What fishngguy said.

I use an fiberglass window screen covered egg crate false bottom, with a shallow layer of mixed turface and calcium bearing clay, topped with a thick layer of leaf litter.

I make little pockets of ABG where I plan to have terrestrial plants, of which I only use a few.

Microfauna and natural processes eventually turn leaf litter and frog droppings into a soil which transitions between the clay and dry leaf litter, and that layer tends to support a ton of microfauna. I could see someone putting a very thin layer of ABG between clay and fresh leaf litter to expedite that process.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I typically use eggcrate with fiberglass screen. I think for my next build I'm going to use matala with a thin sheet of aquarium foam filter over the top in place of screen. I always use my own version of ABG. I don't heavily plant my substrate layer, but I do plant enough that I want an actual soil mix in there instead of turface or clay alone.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
Ok I’ve read through the threads on Matala, Turface, open cell filter foam, ABG and still a little curious. What’s the latest substrate, soil layers for the bottom of the tank? I’m THINKING Matala super dense, a layer of open cell filter foam, screen mesh/weed block, turface with?or without? Crushed charcoal and leaf litter. Yes? No? Adjustments? Thanks.
Giving details on the setup and future inhabitants might help people give better advice.

A drilled viv might have different drainage layer design than a siphoned one. Different species of frogs should have different types/numbers of terrestrial plants, which might suggest different substrates. Some species of frogs gain benefit from different substrates (e.g. clay can be good for egg-feeders, but doesn't have any advantage for Dendrobates sp.), which can also affect which drainage layer scheme is best. Size of viv might play a role -- Matala is expensive, egg crate cheap; a shorter viv (under 24") should have the least thick layers possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Giving details on the setup and future inhabitants might help people give better advice.

A drilled viv might have different drainage layer design than a siphoned one. Different species of frogs should have different types/numbers of terrestrial plants, which might suggest different substrates. Some species of frogs gain benefit from different substrates (e.g. clay can be good for egg-feeders, but doesn't have any advantage for Dendrobates sp.), which can also affect which drainage layer scheme is best. Size of viv might play a role -- Matala is expensive, egg crate cheap; a shorter viv (under 24") should have the least thick layers possible.
Thanks guys. Guess I should have given more info on WHAT I have and WHAT I plan to house. It’s a 65 gallon saltwater conversion to dart tank. It has a 3/4” and a 1” hole drilled in the bottom. I’m using a cracked cork mosaic for background and plan to house El Cope Auratas. I have a mistking mister that will be internal with lines coming in from the 3/4” hole and the 1” will be to drain. I’d like a couple terrestrial plants on the floor, but can start those in some small pots I got from Josh’s to put soil in. Mostly plants that’ll do well epiphytically on the walls. 3 sided cork mosaic. Lights I still could use suggestions on as I have a current USA pro but it may not be strong enough. Also have my old light from the tank when it was saltwater. It’s LED and would grow some hard corals and leathers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts