Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build my first vivarium. While i was at the pet store yesterday to pick up some stuff i needed, the guy sold me a box of "Pure Laterite." He told me that it would be safe for frogs and also act as a fertilizer for my plants. Before i put it in the tank, i'd like to know if Laterite is in fact safe for frogs, and does it actually work, or did i buy a $15 box of pebbles?
Thank you for your help,
Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Laterite should be safe. It is an iron rich gravel commonly used in freshwater planted aquariums to provide needed nutrients to the plant roots. I think at the worst your plants might grow like crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess i will give it a try. As this is my first viv, i won't have anything to compare it to, though. But i'll let you know if i think it helped. Thanks for the replies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan said:
Sounds interesting...Anyone know how good it works?

Ryan
It works very well. Ever seen a picture of a real freshwater planted aquarium? They are awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds about right. If you can find laterite or flourite at a local aquarium store, it's about $15-25 a bag. IMO, I'd just stay with the LECA balls from a local Hydroponics shop. I paid $12 for 10 liters which has so far been used in 3 tanks and I have some left.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have used Laterite in both my freshwater aquariums and my planted terrariums. It worked really well in both cases. I mixed it into my soil mixture and my plants definately grew more it that terrarium versus others. Another plus is that it helps bring out red coloration in plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts