Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorius Alalapadu Cobalt F1 1.1.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a quick pic because I’m legally blind (hence the username), and need some trained eyes. I’m just at Day 28. Are these mites?
I have a video too but couldn’t post. It looks like maggots.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Probably fungus gnat larvae. Where are they, in your tank? Hard to see the context from the close-up.

edit: I gather from other responses that it's a fruit fly culture. I'm not seeing any mites.

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Assuming that's a mel culture. If you follow proper mite control procedures (predust FFs with Calcium Plus, use mite paper or DE moat between cxs, disinfect cups etc between uses, store media in the fridge, don't seed from any cx more than one month old), any mite issues will be controlled and there is no reason to stress about them.

If you don't follow mite control procedures, FF production may gradually dwindle in successive cxs until you'll have to get a new starter cx. Not a big deal, but since getting clean usable cxs is something of a challenge (and expensive) it is worth controlling mites.

That's a lot of larvae for day 28, at least compared to mine which are pretty burned out by that point. Describing your cx procedures in detail might be useful if only to get some input into possible issues that are not causing problems right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for confirming my suspicions everyone. Still a beginner and I’ve been struggling with ff cultures. This really freaked me out. Seems to be good tho. As far as the mite prevention goes, I’m predusting, cups stored in bins with water base and not touching each other. I have T been able to source mite paper anywhere. May try de but the water is working. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
731 Posts
have T been able to source mite paper anywhere. May try de but the water is working
We all have different methods of dealing with mites. Some are better then others. My method is quite a few steps below the one suggested. If I find a FF culture that the outside is covered in mites I wipe them off with my hand, wipe my hand on my pants, and set that culture a few feet away from the others. And even I have been successful culturing flies for a long time. There are better ways then mine but, people tend to exaggerate the issues with insect pests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We all have different methods of dealing with mites. Some are better then others. My method is quite a few steps below the one suggested. If I find a FF culture that the outside is covered in mites I wipe them off with my hand, wipe my hand on my pants, and set that culture a few feet away from the others. And even I have been successful culturing flies for a long time. There are better ways then mine but, people tend to exaggerate the issues with insect pests.
Good to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts