Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious since most sources say that P. terribilis is the largest dendrobatid and O. pumilio the smallest, but i'm not so sure. Just the other day i saw a trio of imis that were without a doubt smaller than any pumilio i've ever seen. And last month i was visiting some fellow froggers and their patricias/citronellas/cobalts were bigger than any terribilis i've ever seen. Well that's a bit of a lie, the white mints at the last ontario reptile and exotic pet expo were a little bit bigger than those tincs. But you get the idea. Does anyone know what the largest and smallest species/morphs are?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I could be wrong but I think trivs are one of the larger darts in the hobby. I've also seen some pretty big tincs. Retics are pretty small, I don't know if they are the smallest, but I haven't seen any smaller species in captivity.
Bryan

·
Registered
850 Posts
It also depends what you mean by "largest". If you are solely looking at SVL (snout-vent length), then terribilis might not be the largest. I have had trivittatus in the past and they are a long, slender frog that may be a little longer than terribilis. But terribilis dominate the "largest" category if you are looking at body mass.

Kevin

·
Registered
995 Posts
I could be wrong but I think trivs are one of the larger darts in the hobby. I've also seen some pretty big tincs. Retics are pretty small, I don't know if they are the smallest, but I haven't seen any smaller species in captivity.
Bryan
I second the Trivs, they get HUGE!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I have seen Silverstonei (females only) and WC Citronella Tincs that were amazingly huge, the Siverstonei were CB but were in a 10 foot long 3 feet wide stream tank with a chllier, I am sure they were as big as their WC counterparts.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I second the Trivs, they get HUGE!
Welll the only Trivs i have ever seen were froglets at an expo. I have heard that greenback trivs and powder blue tincs get to relatively monstrous sizes. Though i do have to say that if Trivs get bigger than those patricias/mints i mentioned...they'd probably be pressing the size of a Lithobates pipiens.
EDIT: Oh and Metechos can also get pretty big.
I won't lie, the first macheto i ever saw was so thin that i thought it was an Atelopus zeteki at first glance...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pumilio escudo are smaller than retic's. Fat terribilis maybe but snout to vent tincs beat them.
Before i saw this post, I'd never heard of escudo pumilio.
I just googled it...spectacular frog.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I saw some wild caught cobalts last summer and they were HUGE. I didn't think tincs got that big. The female had this pronounced arched back like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Frankly, I like the smaller CB a little better. They're not as gnarly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw some wild caught cobalts last summer and they were HUGE. I didn't think tincs got that big. The female had this pronounced arched back like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Frankly, I like the smaller CB a little better. They're not as gnarly.
WC cobalts are very big, yeah, although I still believe that citronellas and patricias are bigger.

A relatively new species, Ranitomeya yavaricola, is very tiny, similar or slightly smaller than R. reticulata.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I once saw a powder blue at the San Diego Sea World, and it was the size of an eight-year old's fist. It was pretty big. I would post a pic, But I didn't snap any of it. Too bad. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts