Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some photos of how my viv looks today. I am curious what other Ideas I should use in this viv to make it look even better. This viv is going to be for a clan of yellow terribilis frogs. I know that I need to add leaf litter, but other than that, what would you suggest to help this viv.

ALso, let me know if any of the plants you see in there are not vivarium material. Thanks

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It looks pretty good so far, however you are displaying the polka-dot planting effect in full force. Try clumping broms together and stay away from equal spacings between plants. It'll look much more natural that way. Once you do that there will be a lot of empty space, so it'll give you an excuse to get more plants.

I would also suggest placing larger plants near the sides of the tank to help lead the eyes to a central focal point. Maybe have the moss go back in the center of the tank, then use leaf litter on both sides. You could also build up more substrate, or use more leaves near the back corners to help make a central focal point.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grimm,

that is exactly what I was looking for. It is actually pathetic how spaced out everything is now that I look at it. I guess I have been reading how important light is for the plants that it made me just think that they all need as much space from each other as possible. I will rearrange some things and send out another picture.

I like the idea of bringing the moss/pebbles up the center more. I will work with that. Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
also, there is nothing like a nice piece of wood to draw the eye to a focal point like the brom clusters Grimm suggested, not to mention the increase in available space by doing so and give you another place for epiphytes

(though terribs probably would need a large one with a small incline to make a lot of use of it from what I understand)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not bad at all. How did you plant the broms in the clay? That background would look awesome with some moss and creeping vines on it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have some broken up cork wood that is in the clay that the broms are mounted to. I have some of that oak ivy stuff but what other vines do you recommend that I get?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm honestly terrible with plants. I've used pothos vines and they take off like wildfire but I've heard people say the root system will fill the bottom of your tank. A lot of people love the creeping fig. I'd just go on tropiflora and check out the terrarium plant section.

·
Registered
212 Posts
do you have any pics of how you made the background that you can share?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, really nice viv.
I would suggest you add a nice peice of driftwood from maybe one of the corners toward the center of the viv and then mount some broms onto it to give it more depth so it it doesnt look like all of the plants are toward the back of the viv. Also you could add some more junglepods to add variation to the gorund once you add some leaf litter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think that if you got cork bark logs (they are a hollowed out piece of cork bark), and cut them into about 2" wide pieces you could put them throughout the backdrop and create little caves all throughout the wall. Just a suggestion though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I am for sure going to add some wood in there. I am rather flattered that "thedudewithfrogs" would take the time to draw me up a nice sketch of what he was talking about! Much appreciated. The reason my viv started out as it did was due to a previous build I was doing.

Here is the progression of my vivs so all can know.

My first viv I thought was awesome, I set it up so that a water fountain flowed from the top back right, down into a log and through the log down into a water pond in the right front corner. Also, the log had a fog maker that would let out fog right where the water fall would fall into the log.

Here is the problem. I didn't quarantine my new frogs from the pet store, and after only 2 weeks they were getting sick and dying. After they died I figured I had to gut out the whole project. It was a very expensive lesson, but one learned all the same.

Pics of my first viv

I was so bugged that I had to start over that I just made a simple viv, but added a clay pyramid for fun. I purposely made it symmetrical for fun and was just trying a different style. Here is a photo of my second viv

After a couple of months, I decided to get back to a regular looking viv. The pyramid was impractical especially since I want terribilis and these are more terrestrial. I took the pyramid out and now I just need help turning the symmetrical pyramid viv, into one that looks more natural. I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me so far!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't go with the pyramid again, it makes it look like a child fish tank, no offense. Your first one looks so sick though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so I have done some major major editing of the viv.

I have tried to take the suggestions that you guys gave me and have added wood as well as tried to not space all the plants out equally. Please tell me what you think, and what other changes it may need

Also, I just threw a bunch of sphagnum moss around on the wood to look swampy.... does it achieve a good look or is it just "messy" Also, I know I need to add some more plants, but give me your thoughts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks good,

Question, what is the green stuff in the soil that looks like grass?, java moss?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks so much better, but I would pull a little of sphagnum out. Not all of it, there is just a little to much IMO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the front I did a slope down with little pepples so that the very bottom of it actually has about 1/2 inch of water. The rest of the water is under the false bottom.

On the pepples I actually put riccia moss. It has been doing very very well and loves the very wet conditions. Whats cool is that there is some kind of really dark stringy green moss that found its way in and it is starting to take over the riccia in some places. I can get an up close picture later today, but what you see as green on there is almost entirely riccia moss

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, ricca is awesome. Definitely a pretty cool ground cover plant. As far as this moss goes, you will have to put a pic of it up. I couldn't find it in any of these ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts