Dendroboard banner

Lamasi tadpole Hatching problem.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  skinnybonedog 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Well after over a year of failed attempts by my standard lamasi pair, they finally got things right....I have three tadpoles in the water. But an odd thing happens when the tads are due to hatch out. The outer gel breaks and contracts around the little tads and they sit that way curled up into a tight ball inside the gel and can't get out. I was afraid they would die if I left them in the gel for more than 2 days so with each one I had to take the tad between my fingers and basically pop them out. And it was not easy...the gel seems extra thick and tough. I can't see how the little guys could have gotten out on their own. I have not ever seen this with my intermedius or azureus....the tads just pop out on their own within a day are free swimming in the egg dish. Anyone ever see anything like this with lamasi or other frogs?

Tammy

G
#3 ·
i use a hyperdermic needle and bust all my tads out early. That way i dont loose any. If you have to bust them out to early and they have their gills still, dont feed till they are gone and their egg sack is absorbed.

Matt

#5 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. When my azureus first started breeding I cut the first few batches of tads out as I was afraid they would not hatch and die....but then I started to leave them alone and have had many many tads come out and not a single problem. Then my intermedius started breeding and I leave their tads alone and they are fine getting out by themselves. The lamasi eggs gel seems much more viscous...and I really doubt the tads could have gotten out on their own...the little guys were in a total circle nose to tail and could hardly move (it would take me over a minute to squish the tad around in the goo to try and get it freed...it was not like cutting the gel with a razor and have the tad swim free). So that was the only reason I helped them out as having those die would have been heartbreaking after so long of trying to get them to breed successfully. I guess I will never know and will just have to keep an eye on every tad and help it out if needed.

Tammy

#6 ·
Tammy,

I have had the same thing happen with my standard on a few occasions and your observations sound very similar. Alexander's solution has worked for me and the tads usually emerge within 24hrs. Good to hear of another person breeding these beauties!

Jon Werner

#7 ·
Jon,

Ok, good to hear it is not an uncommon thing with these guys and I will try the submersion idea of Alexanders with the next tad that is developing now.

I am very happy they have got things going successfully now....was a looonng wait they put me through for sure but I still have three girls that need guys so I am hoping this pair keeps it up.

Tammy

#9 ·
Congratulations Tammy! Where are your lamasi laying their eggs? One of my breeding groups lays in two different spots in their tank, one unseen, and one along the side of the glass. My preference is to just let the eggs hatch and have the males transport the tads to film canisters, which are then removed. Sometimes I will remove the eggs laid on the glass and what I usually do is place them in a clear deli cup on a wet papertowel (see pic below). I have had success both fully submerging the eggs and just partially covering and haven't really noticed much sensitivity there. It does sometimes take them a bit longer than some of my other thumbnail tads to emerge, but I've been fortunate to have had few problems.

Best of luck with the tads, these darts are gorgeous,

Three D. Lamasi clutches in various stages

Adult Lamasi guarding clutch laid on glass

-=Adam=-

#10 ·
Thanks Adam,

You know I have been hoping for this for a long time now...they laid the first two clutches with good eggs inside a bromeliad leaf...I tried it with no bromeliad but they did not lay a single egg for 4 months! So I put back the brom and it took two more months before they laid. The third clutch I was very surprised to find in a white film canister. I had seen them go into that canister many times over the past year but never found a single egg. Then for some reason I wanted to clean out the canister because it had alot of algae growing in it and to my surprise there were 5 eggs in the green muck. Only one was good but my hope is they will keep laying in the film canister because that is so much easier.

Tammy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.