Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try growing kyoto moss in their tank?
I have seen the spores of this stuff for sale at bonsai stores.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I tried some, and it never sprouted. Maybee I just got a really old pack?
I wrote to the company about them, and asked if there are any additives etc. that I should be aware of, and explained what I wanted to do with them, and was told that the spores are collected in montana, and should have no chemicals present...just whatever is with the moss/spores/dirt.
He also added that for best success in a viv, to try and sprout them outside first, as this species likes more air circulation than most other mosses.
I didn't have any luck the first time, but would like to try it again sometime.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Brian,

Your results with this particular "Kyoto Moss" is similar to what I have seen many others post on terrarium forums. Moss spores really should not be tough to get going under the right conditions, so maybe you're right--the terrarium conditions just aren't quite right for this species. Then again, maybe this company is selling dud spores.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Thanks...I really would like to be able to find some moss spores. To me it would seem to be the way to get the most natural looking growth pattern...blow some spores into the viv, and let it grow where it may.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You might want to check with Alexander Stubbs. I believe he has grown some ferns or moss from spores he received from someone else (correct me if I'm wrong, Alexander). I know I have grown Java from spores, but I don't think they would ship very well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have purchased pre packaged Kyoto moss at greenhouses. Its basically dried but when soak in water and given light it will revive in the terrarium. Neat stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts