Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try growing kyoto moss in their tank?
I have seen the spores of this stuff for sale at bonsai stores.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I tried some, and it never sprouted. Maybee I just got a really old pack?
I wrote to the company about them, and asked if there are any additives etc. that I should be aware of, and explained what I wanted to do with them, and was told that the spores are collected in montana, and should have no chemicals present...just whatever is with the moss/spores/dirt.
He also added that for best success in a viv, to try and sprout them outside first, as this species likes more air circulation than most other mosses.
I didn't have any luck the first time, but would like to try it again sometime.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Brian,

Your results with this particular "Kyoto Moss" is similar to what I have seen many others post on terrarium forums. Moss spores really should not be tough to get going under the right conditions, so maybe you're right--the terrarium conditions just aren't quite right for this species. Then again, maybe this company is selling dud spores.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You might want to check with Alexander Stubbs. I believe he has grown some ferns or moss from spores he received from someone else (correct me if I'm wrong, Alexander). I know I have grown Java from spores, but I don't think they would ship very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.