Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching Troy Goldberg on Youtube and I like how he uses Drylok to get a natural color in his builds. My local lowes does not carry grey Drylok, only white. I do have Kilz, are they the same thing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quikrete cement color can be added to tint the Drylok. I use a blend of buff and charcoal color until it's about the right color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quikrete cement color can be added to tint the Drylok. I use a blend of buff and charcoal color until it's about the right color.
Do you use it with the white drylok? I was trying to find the grey to use as a base instead of starting with white.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep. It's white. Here's a couple backgrounds I recently did. The top one is pretty dark. I used a little too much charcoal color because I wasnt happy with how light the bottom one came out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kilz is just a paint primer. Drylok is a masonry water proofer. They are not the same thing.

If all you can find is white it's easy to tint it grey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used white drylok and quikrete (combination of charcoal and terra cotta) and had no issues... Have some photos of the end result on an Instagram with same user name as here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought grey DryLock at Home Depot for my most recent terrarium project.

As posted above, it's easy to tint. You can pour a little into a large Mason jar to get the color right without risking the whole batch. It is a latex type paint, and I tinted mine darker for some areas using a very small amount of black latex trim paint.

Hindsight...I should have also blended in some brown and maybe a tiny bit of moss-green for a more natural color. I had intended to go over the whole thing with watered-down brownish-green acrylic paint afterwards, but couldn't find any locally and just went forward with grey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts