Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads that are about the common mistakes made by new hobbyists. How about some of you seasoned hobbyists/professionals give us some keys to success?

For example;
1) Read Read Read. Study as much as possible. Use the experiences of others to improve your knowledge so you don’t make the simple/common mistakes.
2) Consistent and quality husbandry
3) Etc. and so on.

Also, I’m very interested in key/critical pieces of equipment to invest in. Things that you should spend the money on upfront.
1) Quality tank/vivarium (explain)
2) Mister (mistking vs Petco brand)
3) Etc.

Thanks again for the time you guys take to invest in us new/future hobbyists!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I will speak on husbandry very quickly as this is what will determine the health of your frog more so then equipment. The keys to success for new hobbyists really are just to avoid the most common failures...Just a quick 30 second top of my head helper list.. IF you ask guys on DB more targeted questions, you will get ton of greatly detailed responses, this was such a general post I didnt know where to start.. hope it helps-
Temperature-Darts are really sensitive to overheating, most tincs & thumbs commonly found in the hobby prefer a comfortable room temperature & will thrive in temps around 75-80ish during the day & 65-70ish overnight... the cooler end of the spectrum is really not as dangerous as getting above the mid 80s for a length of time... Darts cant thermoregulate & will literally bake if exposed to high temps for any length of time.. Keep in mind also that a temp gun can be helpful, your room temps will often not be as warm as your tank where the frogs are living...WIth summer coming up controlling temps is paramount.
Hydration- Frogs need moisture, easily achieved by covering most of the enclosure, slowing the rate of evaporation oof water out of the tank containing moisture into the enclosure & raising the humidity..This can be as simple as putting a piece of plastic over a screen top from a ziplock bag. Dehydrated frogs can have stunted growth, general lethargy & even die in extreme cases..The misting alone is not enough if the tank is not containing moisture
Nutrition- Darts need Proper nutrition to thrive, they need to ingest insects in an amount that keeps them form being malnourished & when flies are given as a staple source they should be dusted with a fresh powder form multivitamin... A Supplement that has Calcium, D3, Vitamin A all in one is preferable. Dendrocare or a Repashy Cal plus are a couple of the all in one vitamins on the market today.
Vivaria Construction- Enclosures should always be built with the specific species needs in mind, if youre working with Obligates or specifically Oophaga Pumilio, you will want to have a tnak with a few nicely planted Bromeliads for egg deposit sites, they also provide a place for frogs to climb in & feel secure, or hydrate. A tank with some height is also a plus for pumilio as they are an arboreal frog that likes to climb, males will climb & call females to deposition sites... Conversely, if youre building for tincs you need not use many if any broms, but you should choose a tank with floor space as theyre largely terrestrial & appreciate the large floor surface area as larger frogs that like to use ground space... Note they will climb all throughout the day also if you utilize the middle part of a vivaria with broad leaf plants that will occupy space & large wood accents that provide pathways throughout the middle of enclosures that would otherwise be wasted.. Note that a 20H Gallon planted wrong is in most cases not as useful to a frog as a 10 Gallon planted right.. Frogs like to feel secure & will become more bold and visible in tanks with more places to hide as they will feel more secure... a in the 20 Gallon High with just a couple coco huts & substrate with leaf litter, a frog will feel it has to dive from hut to hut or eat from under leaves only eating the food that comes across its path sometimes.. put that same frog in a 10 Gallon tank with plants growing all throughout the middle & a few wood accents & hides on the ground with ample litter & all of a sudden the frog will become visible more often now feeling secure... this is key bc stress in frogs can trigger a lowering of its defenses & this can in some instances also become an issue.. IM not saying a 10 gallon tank is better then a 20, in fact IM arguing the opposite, Im trying to illustrate how you can utilize the vertical space in a vivarium efficiently to provide the animal with the most useable space possible.. I find my tincs, pumilio & ranitomeya near the top canopy in my tanks often on top of a sturdy leaf... THey could never chase a fly up & occupy that space had I not planted this way.. usigng tank space is more important then tank size in some instances... Thats all I got for now, sorry for rambling...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also a newbie with vivs, tank running for about three weeks now, but can already tell you a list of mistakes I made.

(1) I converted a 10 gal tank, which was good practice, but a 10 gal tank is to small even for a pair of darts IMHO. Already looking at converting a 20 gal.

(2) I knew I should of added a bulkhead for drainage, but not being a patient individual and not having the correct drill bit, did not. I am going to try to rectify that problem and keep the 10 gal for a hospital tank but drilling a tank after doing the scape is not going to be fun. Like most hobbies PATIENCE is a great virtue.

(3) I read all about culturing fruit flies but should have started practicing with them maybe even as much as a month before I actually got the frogs. I still am not happy with the production of my cultures and have had three completely crash. Anytime you have to buy something in a hurry it costs you more money and usually the quality is much less.

Despite these mistakes my Azureus seem happy and healthy.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Pretty much everything you need to have a good idea is laid out in this sticky. Read the links there within and you will find answers.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...ular-helpful-beginner-discussion-threads.html

As for vivs that is a preference thing. Many like exo or zoomed front opening. i myself prefer vert kits. There is no exact answer on this.

Mistking reigns as far as prebuilt goes. You do not have to have a misting system though. I have over 30 frogs and I mist by hand daily and enjoy it. That is often how I find younglings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 20L and got my frogs a week ago. I made the mistake of buying only one culture which doesn't produce quite as nicely as I would like so I ordered a couple more so I can leave them go to feed my darts ample amounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts