Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what light color is more suited for pants, or in other words; the most naturalistic. (for them not for aesthetic purposes)

M.N

G

·
0 Posts
I don't know what is the most suitable for pants ;) or plants.
But I think 5000-6500K is the closest to the color of sunlight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have heard 6500K is what to go for, but like Ben we recommend between 5000k - 6000k.

At home we even use 4100K from Lowes in some of our lights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
light from 3500 up to 6500 is alright for most plants. bear in mind, that most plants we grow in our tanks are lower light plants, so can handle very low light levels, but will grow more robustly and much faster under higher levels.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Lowes sells one called a sunstick that is about $6 each that is 6200k or 6500k and full spectrum. If your looking for a 4ft light. If not them look into the reti-glow 2.0 or 5.0 bulbs. GE also makes a 5000k light that will work well, you might be able to find them at walmart or other local store.

There also a ton of good into on lighting here:
http://www.doylesdartden.com/lighting.htm

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have used lights ranging from 3000K to 5000K and found that the intensity seems to matter more than the Kelvin rating for growing plants.

I have orchids routinely bloom in terraria with only 3000K bulbs, and I don't see the point of spending more money on the 5000K bulbs when 4100K bulbs tend to cost around 1/2 the price (as far as compact fluorescent bulbs go). However, the light is more yellow on the low end, and I know that bothers some people.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get some of the best compact growths from 20,000k and 10,000k from CSL and 9325k from a GE bulb. I like the more compact growth since it leads to less leggy "reaching for light plants" and more tight bush grwoth.

Danny

·
Registered
986 Posts
Danny,

It sounds like you must be using metal halide bulbs to be utilizing lights in that spectrum. I'll bet that your growth is extremely bushy, especially with the intensity of light that metal halide bulbs put off. However, I thought that anything over the 10,000K range was in the actinic range and more suited for saltwater type growth . . . and pretty expensive, to boot.

Let me know more about your setup, I'd love to know the specifics if you have the time, and what plants you are growing under those lights.

Thanks,

·
Registered
256 Posts
While they are not metal halides they are PC and yes they are carry over from a reeftank projects, I have a 55w and a 36 watt sitting 2 feet over a set of tanks that has gotten in credible growth, even the moss seems to be taking over double time. I prefer these spectrem since the give really good looking spectrum without producing too much UV. In fact some of the "growlights" can be more harm to plants than the higher kelvin ratings because they produce quite a lot of infared lighting. Ican post some pictures soon.

Danny

G

·
0 Posts
so, has anyone used MH or HPS lights to get there tanks grown in very well before introducing frogs to the set-up? It sounds like a good idea, and you will pay a little bit more, but seems the tanks would be happily grown in and it wouldn't have that, just finished look, but more natural.

I don't know which would be better MH or HPS, probably MH since we aren't going for flowering plants, but more continual compact growth. Just wondering?

Chris

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I thought about it, but they just get too hot. Most of the fixtures come vented with fans, so you can push the hot air outside...

Chris Pyle said:
so, has anyone used MH or HPS lights to get there tanks grown in very well before introducing frogs to the set-up? It sounds like a good idea, and you will pay a little bit more, but seems the tanks would be happily grown in and it wouldn't have that, just finished look, but more natural.

I don't know which would be better MH or HPS, probably MH since we aren't going for flowering plants, but more continual compact growth. Just wondering?

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
I know they get hot, ballast and bulb, but what about hanging them up outside of the tank about a foot or two above your tanks, if you have glass ceilings and you have a fan directly blowing on the bulb, it seems like it would be cool enough to use, even for just a couple weeks-a month.
Of course I am not talking about a 400 watt bulb, but maybe a 70-150 would do the trick? I think I might try it just to see how the tanks respond.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Lets put it this way, if you put them in a room and closed the door the whole room will get up around 80-90... They get very very hot.

Lights like this:
http://www.gardenindoors.com/gilight.html

Chris Pyle said:
I know they get hot, ballast and bulb, but what about hanging them up outside of the tank about a foot or two above your tanks, if you have glass ceilings and you have a fan directly blowing on the bulb, it seems like it would be cool enough to use, even for just a couple weeks-a month.
Of course I am not talking about a 400 watt bulb, but maybe a 70-150 would do the trick? I think I might try it just to see how the tanks respond.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris Pyle said:
Hanging them up will do the trick. I do that for all my high intensity lighting.

M.N

1 - 17 of 17 Posts