Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very small water feature and the water is cloudy and yellowish could be dust off rocks and tannin from leaves but I had an idea to keep water clear I am thinking of putting bags of charcoal under the false bottom which is the reservoir to purify has anyone done this?

·
Registered
957 Posts
yes that will work just fine, its better to have some flow through the charcol when possible as this will increase its effectivness. its hard to do it in an established tank but you can incorporate a filter with biological capabilities and chemical such as carbon when you build your tank. If its a size worth doing that is. other than that carbon is great.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It will work until the charcoal is covered by a bacterial film which then prevents the charcoal from absorbing the tannins well. You should also keep in mind that charcoals leach phosphate and if the levels in the water are already on the higher side, it can cause spindly leg in tadpoles (this happened at a number of institutions).

Ed

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't charcoal lose its effectiveness after about 3 days?
It all depends on the application I have used it in many of my salt water aquariums and it tends to last about 6 months but with the low volume it will see in my viv I can only see it lasting a bit longer unless like ed said it get coverd in slime. I built in access to my false floor so I at that point have the ability to change it out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you have good flow through the carbon you wont have the slime issue. Carbon can leach what it absorbs back into the water if not changed frequently. 6 months is way to long, its about 4 to 6 weeks max before the carbon is close to exhausted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't mind the color it is the cloudiness i want to remove but i did just set it up may be i should give it a week or two to settle before even thinking about it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If your set up is relatively new, as in a few weeks or less, the water is just being unsettled. Treat it like a fish tank and do a few a water changes to flush out the bed and add in new clean water and leave it alone. It should clear up once the bacterial colonies have established which would be about 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't bother with carbon anymore since you don't mind the tannins.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your set up is relatively new, as in a few weeks or less, the water is just being unsettled. Treat it like a fish tank and do a few a water changes to flush out the bed and add in new clean water and leave it alone. It should clear up once the bacterial colonies have established which would be about 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't bother with carbon anymore since you don't mind the tannins.
it's new as in 2 days first water feature I have done and it is only my second build.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It all depends on the application I have used it in many of my salt water aquariums and it tends to last about 6 months but with the low volume it will see in my viv I can only see it lasting a bit longer unless like ed said it get coverd in slime. I built in access to my false floor so I at that point have the ability to change it out.
From experience, it will cover in slime surprisngly rapidly.. In any case, the ability of the carbon is inhibited long before you get to the heavy slime stage.. all of those pores and crannies are colonised first by the bacteria and the slime only occurs much later.

Ed

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know it was new. It does take some time for things to balance out. I don't do many water changes. Maybe 3 per year. Mostly top ups or drain a bit off depending on how much I'm misting. After a while your water feature will find the sweet spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts