Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well out of 6 of the eggs, 3 look to have gone bad. What can I do to stop this from happening? I do daily water changes and keep them in small sealed tupperware containers. Once I get the almond leaves I will make the "tea."

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have much experience with this, but my D. azureus have dropped at least 7 clutches in this, their first, season.

I'm not sure there's much you *can* do to prevent the eggs from going bad. I've had several eggs hatch, but my success rate is very low (on the order of 20%). I've heard that the success rate tends to go up as the frogs mature.

One thing I've noticed is that it's best not to disturb the eggs too much. I keep mine in sealed tupperware containers, on moist paper towels. I don't even bother to mist more than once a day, let alone make water changes.

I hope this helps!

-John

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
How long are you keeping the eggs in the viv? I've heard that the male may not get around to fertilizing all of them for up to 48 hours.

G

·
My advice with those eggs is this. My azureus started breeding at 8 months old which is super rare from what i read. The first 2 clutchs got dried up cause i didnt put any water around them. I also found that if i leave the eggs with the mommy for aleast 5-6 days the eggs to a ton better and the mother layed as soon as i pull them out. Im on my 6th clutch now and only one tad has made he is doing well and getting huge. He was from my 3rd clutch. I have tried so many different ways of rearing the eggs and im sure every one gets different results. So dont get upset at your first couple of clutchs, they will find a way to give you heathy eggs and you will find a way that works for you. Just try new things if some thing isn't working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts