Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so long story short, I'm moving next year, before I'll be able to finish my dart frog viv, so it's on hold for awhile. No big deal there. My big issue is, i'll be leaving an incredibly good reptile store behind. Furthermore, they've got the best prices on bromeliad pups I've ever seen, accounting for shipping.

Anyway. I'm already planning to buy some of the other cheap dry goods they have available, but what about those bromeliads? Would it be at all challenging to keep three bromeliads alive outside a vivarium for awhile, and how would one go about doing so? I'm not sure how long it'll take me after settling in till I can get my viv going, but I'd guesstimate a month or so. And for reference, these all appear to be Neoregelias, if i've got my ID correct.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It wouldn't be challenging. I find the simplest thing to do is just keep them in a small terrarium set up. I use a 10 gallon tank with a the glass from some cheap picture frames from Goodwill.

I use PVC "trees" to hold the broms. Trees constructed from PVC pipe. I stuff the bromeliad stolon into the holes and can usually stuff two at top. A rubber band can be used on the stolon if needed. I also may wrap some sphagnum moss temporarily around the stolon if they are long and remove once I see some anchor root development. Can cause rot if you aren't attentive or have it too far up on bromeliad. I then just set in the corner area in the bare bottom terrarium.

Purple Textile Violet Line Kitchen appliance

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Flower Terrestrial plant

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
I had a Neo 'June Night' that was really taking over a plant-only 18" cube a few months ago, so I pulled it and stuck it in some sphagnum in an 8" pot outside with my orchids. It is doing quite well, and is now inside for the winter as a houseplant, though even after a week out of the sun the red blushing is fading (it was getting a few hours of mottled east-exposure sun each morning while outside).

Plant Flower Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Arecales Flowering plant

Reactions: JasonE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts