Dendroboard banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
KarmaPolice's 30g Paludarium - Water PH?

Does anyone want to give their experience with the PH of their water being high (alkaline) after creating a false background with greatstuff / gorilla glue?
After cycling the water tank with a few cycles of water I ended up filling my water section with RO water and bought a few of (what was advised as) hardy Platy fish. I ended up buying a small PH testing kit after 2 of the Platys died. I am unsure if the greatstuff or the gorilla glue is causing the fish to die. I did a about a 1/3 water change with the two remaining fish today and will test it again in the morning. I believe it will get better when I get my misting system in that will add a regular amount of water when misting to keep the PH down. However I would like to know if it is just time needed to leech all unwanted items out of the background or something else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was planning to at first, but in the end, I didn't end up using any silicone to make the background. Background is just greatstuff expanding foam (gaps and cracks), gorilla glue with peat moss and cocoir fiber or some such.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was planning to at first, but in the end, I didn't end up using any silicone to make the background. Background is just greatstuff expanding foam (gaps and cracks), gorilla glue with peat moss and cocoir fiber or some such.
It looks like you used silicone on the acrylic and egg crate though, which is in the water. I only learned a few days ago that 100% silicone doesn't always mean 100% silicone :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
KarmaPolice's 30g Paludarium - Water PH?

It looks like you used silicone on the acrylic and egg crate though, which is in the water. I only learned a few days ago that 100% silicone doesn't always mean 100% silicone :(
Sorry Wriggles, my mistake, totally forgot about the silicone on the skeleton of the false bottom / acylic retaining wall.
I used and have used in the past for the background of my frog tank the: GE, Silicone II 100% silicone.
From what you have read/learned is this silicone going to be poisoning the water?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: KarmaPolice's 30g Paludarium - Water PH?

Sorry Wriggles, my mistake, totally forgot about the silicone on the skeleton of the false bottom / acylic retaining wall.
I used and have used in the past for the background of my frog tank the: GE, Silicone II 100% silicone.
From what you have read/learned is this silicone going to be poisoning the water?
Googling info on it has been pretty conflicting for GE II. A lot of people say they've used it for years and had no problems, and a lot say it's poisonous, with some fish death threads here and there.
From what I gathered the cure time is extremely important, as it makes ammonia while curing. Maybe there's a thick glob in the tank that had poor air exchange?
Everyone says to check if it has a mold inhibitor also, which I forgot. I've read it could be safe so long as it fully cures, but I'm not testing my luck..

In the end it gave me a headache so I just tore mine out and bought aquarium grade silicone. Hopefully someone here has more solid answers :confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
:UPDATE: KarmaPolice's 30g Paludarium

:pICTURE UPDATE:
I have some new tank pictures now, since a friend came over with his camera to snap some shots. Unfortunately, we were not able to take any with the main lights on, and only used the 'night light' LED mood lighting strip that's on top of the tank. They turned out pretty well considering, he might try and take some more with a different lens in the future.

I have removed a lot of the bromeliads, as much as I like them, to clear up the front of the tank and make it look less cluttered to me. I have moved some things around, but for the most part I am letting everything get acclimated to their new home. Since the last update I have finished the stand and hood for the lights/fan/mist setup, which I will post pictures for another time. I have installed a MistKing system which I am really enjoying as well.

This has been loosing a lot of leaves in its current spot which is right next to the water, so the base/roots are constantly soaked, might try to increase the misting to make sure the leaves don't dry out. I do see some new leaf growth however, so will hope for the best.

One of my favorite shots in this group of pictures

Also favorite...

Finally a few pictures of the water section:
The current inhabitants consist of 2x Mollys / 2x plecostomus? and 2x mystery snails (fish names / ID are not my specialty). I just recently got the algae eaters since the tank was getting a good amount of brown algae growth since I don't have a standard filtration system for the water, however they were very quick to clean it all up in the last couple days. I also finally found a Y-Splitter for the PVC tubing so that my pump can direct the water to both sides of the tanks outlets, creating the most water flow and movement. I have also replaced and added some plants to the water section, the newest being the floating salvinia minima, which I think will do well in this setup.

I would like to get a group of neon tetras once I know the new plecostomus* are going to be okay. I just did a water test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and everything was at good levels. The PH is a little high at around 7.5, which might get better with more frequent water changes. I also have some pretty warm water as well around 78°F. I switched the fan in the hood to blow out instead of in, so that might keep the hood temperature down and lower the overall heat by 1° hopefully. I will ask at my local fish shop to see what small fish they would recommend for my high PH / warm water.

This is the left side, which the water feature aerates the water nicely, which I believe was a big part of why my first couple fish didn't make it.

Now all together:

Reactions: plantedpug

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dam that's awesome
Lucie, thank you I appreciate it.

I am just looking to fine tune the misting lengths throughout the day to make the best of it. Hopefully I can get some moss growth and will be able to update after it fills in.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts