Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have a pair of Auratus kuna-yala they eat and have normal behaviours, the male singing and the female "playing" with him :D . but 1 month ago more or less the female have started to be ALWAYS in the little pond they have in their terrarium with a half of his body inside the water. she continues eating and she is apparently healhty. It's very weird so i ask yo to know your opinions about what can be the reason of this behaviour.

They two are alone in a 10 gals. vivarium, with around 26ºC during the day and 23-24ºC during the night. They have 7 rains every day (Spain is so hot and this hot dry terrariums). And i have o make changes in the terrarium in months!

Thank you!!

PS1: If you think it can be useful i can upload pics
PS2: Sorry for my english!

·
Registered
521 Posts
What is the top on your vivarium? Is it screen or glass? She may be dehydrated and is soaking in water to get some water, but I know some people have a particular frog that like to soak in water even in a sealed vivarium.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They can soak from parasites or I've heard Chitrid.

But, this is classic humidity issues. Misting 7 times a day is too much and makes it too wet dude. In the driest days here, I still don't watch humidity because of the way my tanks are set up.

New frog keepers are very confused in thinking that wet is the same as humid. Humidity is the water you can't see except for on glass.

Just because the humidity goes up every time you mist does not mean you're keeping a constant high humidity. If you have a poor screen top or partially covered top it can't possibly hold humidity.

You need to keep a glass top on tank. I killed my first dart frog 13 years ago
because I had a partially covered screen top. He kept retreating to water dish and I had no clue why. Glass fish tank top, custom cut piece, or anything with very little ventilation is what you need.

A glass fish tank top on a planted vivarium that's misted a few times a week will have very high humidity that you can feel with your hand in the tank air.

Not only do I not use humidity gauges anymore, but I also don't keep water dishes in all my tanks. Most of my tanks do have a swamp in the front for drainage, but not all. The ones that have deeper than half inch swamps are only there because I don't plan on constantly digging for and removing eggs. I'd rather have tadpoles be deposited for species like Vittatus, etc. Stuff like tincs and others are more predictable for me to find eggs in petri dishes and film canisters. For me at least.

D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.