Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited to keep these frogs! I have heard they have a great personality and are quite hardy. I have also read that the call is nice, and that they are quite enthusiatic feeders. Is there anything anyone would like to say about this species to help me, or to share your experiences? I would love to hear! Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
156 Posts
They are terrific! I keep a group of five (one male, four females) and they lay eggs constantly. So much even, that I have to leave clutches in the tank because I have all of my breeding capacity full of little bicolors. Every day there is calling activity, sometimes more a day. Males make a loud canary-like sound, and a sort of 'burp' sound when stroked by the females.

When they're young they really eat a lot! If they don't get enough (good quality) food when young they can develop growing problems so make sure to feed them well, keep them in fruit flies all the time and give them a variety of food. The will grow really fast when their requirements are met.

The adults like larger prey items, like crickets, fire brats and waxmoths and their larvae.

My group started reproducing at approximately 11 months old. I've been in bicolor tads since...
Again, great species, love em!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderful pic!!!! Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the tips as well!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Received the frogs this afternoon! They look great! They are still very young juvs and have not fully colored up yet, which is awesome! At what age will males begin to call? Thanks!

Pics will be taken when they are in the QT tank!

JBear

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't put them anywhere near a bedroom or living space where you will be able to hear them. My group calls ALL day and you can hear it from the basement all the way up a flight of stairs to the other end of the house in the kitchen while the T.V. is on.

Interesting side note, while the bicos are asleep in the early morning, my trivittata have started calling, and you can hear them too.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These frogs are extremely bold! After just half a day in the QT the frogs are constantly visible, and show no fear when approached! The colors of these little guys is fantastic as well! I can't wait to add to my group! LOL!

JBear

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
If I wiggle my fingers in the vivarium of the group that produced the frogs you got, the female tries to eat them. They are a very bold, very loud frog.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My frogs came from Josh's Frogs, so if you supplied him, then yes, they are from you... All my thanks! Here are some more pics!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I was the one who packed your frogs ;) - the froglets came from his 2.1 breeding group at the facility. All of the dart frogs Josh sells are bred by JoshsFrogs.

They are very cool frogs - eventually, I want to do a large vivarium with a decent sized group of them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My male started calling at 10 months but a heard that this is a bit early. Count on approximately 1 year before any mating activity occurs. Seems to me that your bicolors are still pretty young (I figure, about 4 months old?) so you have some waiting to do before breeding. But it's really fun to see them eh... expand :D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are very young yet, but very well started. Amazingly bold dart frog. More so than my Tincs were at this age, and my Tincs don't even respond when my hand is in the viv(literally right next to or above the frogs) now. I can't wait to see how the Bicos act as adults! Although it is well noted that Bicos will take crickets when older, are they to be avoided, or limited? I generally remove the back legs from crickets prior to feeding, but I have never used them for darts. What is the general thought on crickets as a 50/50 staple along side FFs?

Thanks for the help!

JBear

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
What is the general thought on crickets as a 50/50 staple along side FFs?
I think that they would do fine on such a diet - the adults love 1/4" crickets and hydei. With the adults, an increased amount of crickets fed typically leads to larger, more frequent clutches, IME.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don't put them anywhere near a bedroom or living space where you will be able to hear them. My group calls ALL day and you can hear it from the basement all the way up a flight of stairs to the other end of the house in the kitchen while the T.V. is on.
Hmmm....as I was reading this thread I thought that I would like to get some of these frogs. Up until the point I read your post.:D Thanks for the heads up. The things you may not know until you get the frogs. Yikes!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts