Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
They are not azureus. They are def. a tinc. morph. Looks like a morph of sipiliwini.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
the one on the left is definitely an Azureus. they will develop more spots and the white color will "blue" up. The one on the right, is young. Its color could go a lot of different ways. If you got them from a reputable breeder, you shouldn't doubt the morph.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Neither one looks to be Azureus. The one on the right does look to be a Sip. The one on the left looks like a Patricia. Nice frogs either way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one on the left is definitely an Azureus. they will develop more spots and the white color will "blue" up. The one on the right, is young. Its color could go a lot of different ways. If you got them from a reputable breeder, you shouldn't doubt the morph.
Well the thing is, we got them from a local pet store that buys them from an animal hospital that breeds dart frogs. For a few months, we'd had some Azureus reserved for us, and they finally got them in yesterday.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Probably need to give them a few weeks/month to color up. If you can not get a definite ID from the breeder then all you will be able to call them is D. tinctorius "unknown" as the morph have a lot of color and pattern diversity.

I would get the number of the animal hospital and give them a call/go look at the adults.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Is there a reason why you are guessing at what these are? Where did you get them? WHat did you pay? Were they bred by this person? Did you see the breeders? When you start guessing you start down the wrong track, we need to get out of that due to the possibilities or pairing them off with other frogs and creating outcrossed frogs, hybrids as well as just a mixed viv that doesnt need to be.

Michael

·
Registered
209 Posts
The one on the left could be a new river or azureus. Unfortunately you really wont be able to know unless you find out from whoever breed them. The one on the right could be a green sip, cobalt, dwarf cobalt and the list goes on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Is there a reason why you are guessing at what these are? Where did you get them? WHat did you pay? Were they bred by this person? Did you see the breeders? When you start guessing you start down the wrong track, we need to get out of that due to the possibilities or pairing them off with other frogs and creating outcrossed frogs, hybrids as well as just a mixed viv that doesnt need to be.

Michael
Well I wasn't supposed to be guessing -- we'd been looking for a place to get some Azureus locally, and came across this particular pet store, who said they buy from an animal hospital. After a few months of waiting, this is what we end up with.

And thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm a first-time dart frog owner, and I've done a lot of research. Getting the wrong morph wasn't something I even considered, so I never expected to be in this position. I'm not really sure what to do now... BTW, the frogs are currently in a temporary 10 gallon viv, because the larger one I've been working on (Exo Terra 36x18x18) isn't ready yet.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
One on the right definitely looks like a Patricia, one on the left looks like new river or sip..... I think the seller owes you an explanation, but at the same time this is a perfect example of why its best to research before you buy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think you should take them to the Animal Hospital that bred them and ask for an explanation. They may not be aware that the pet store is selling different morphs under one name. They need to educate that pet store if they are going to be selling their frogs through them. And you deserve to get the frogs they said they were selling to you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had an Azureus morph out that 'almost' looked like a faint yellow on his head for about a month. It is now a nice light blue with no trace of yellow. The picture on the right does not look anything like any color of the Azureus I've raised.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well I wasn't supposed to be guessing -- we'd been looking for a place to get some Azureus locally, and came across this particular pet store, who said they buy from an animal hospital. After a few months of waiting, this is what we end up with.

And thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm a first-time dart frog owner, and I've done a lot of research. Getting the wrong morph wasn't something I even considered, so I never expected to be in this position. I'm not really sure what to do now... BTW, the frogs are currently in a temporary 10 gallon viv, because the larger one I've been working on (Exo Terra 36x18x18) isn't ready yet.
I was referring to the other hobbyists playing guess that tinc, its bad practice and a horrible way to teach a new hobbyist. I would personally return them, tell them they owe you some money, tell them if they cant ID an azureus after this much time of selling darts than they are leading with a bad example. I would ask for the contact info to where they got them from and give these people a call, If they know what they are doing they will not be happy to hear their frogs are being mis ID'd and sold to unknowing people. What did they cost you?

Im sure someone on here could help you out with some real azureus for easily what you paid for yours.

Michael

Reactions: james67

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm not sure about the one on the left, but the one on the right looks very similar to my Patricias. All of my Azureus morph out very blue (leaves no doubt)...do people actually have Azureus morphs that need time to color up???

Here's a pic of mine at about a month old (just to show off! :) )...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Whether you keep them or not I would make sure whatever you do get for that big viv spends some time in Quarantine and get tested, Frogs changing hands like this can pick up some nasties.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
the one on the left is definitely an Azureus. they will develop more spots and the white color will "blue" up.
I don't know about that....

If anything, the azureus froglets I've gotten in the past started off with a much darker blue, and as they aged the blue turned a lighter color; not the other way around. (although I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think you should just enjoy the frogs.

Dont get all caught up in the morphs. Enjoy the hobby of frogging. See how you enjoy raising these frogs and then maybe you'll want to get some more. Next time, get them from someone on the board. Theres some really dedicated, focused breeders on here, who would readily sell you a true morp, with a family tree, so you'll know exactly where your frog comes from.

But for now, try out these. You'll see that they will change as they grow. Patterns will emerge, and change, and you'll grow fond of their personalities.
Trust me, youll have plenty more frogs in no time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think you should just enjoy the frogs.

Dont get all caught up in the morphs. Enjoy the hobby of frogging. See how you enjoy raising these frogs and then maybe you'll want to get some more. Next time, get them from someone on the board. Theres some really dedicated, focused breeders on here, who would readily sell you a true morp, with a family tree, so you'll know exactly where your frog comes from.

But for now, try out these. You'll see that they will change as they grow. Patterns will emerge, and change, and you'll grow fond of their personalities.
Trust me, youll have plenty more frogs in no time.
I'd really like to know how this helps in any way? This person specifically asked for azureus and paid for azureus. How is getting burned ok in anyway? DO you have some type of attachment to who ripped him off?

This is a hobby, the frogs are all nice, but people pulling this crap should not be left alone and you never tell someone burned its ok, keep them you can get azureus next time.

Michael

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd really like to know how this helps in any way? This person specifically asked for azureus and paid for azureus. How is getting burned ok in anyway? DO you have some type of attachment to who ripped him off?

This is a hobby, the frogs are all nice, but people pulling this crap should not be left alone and you never tell someone burned its ok, keep them you can get azureus next time.

Michael
Yea, go bust an animal hospitals staff. Like they have bigger things to deal with. I mean, Azureus are now the cheapest, most breed frog on DB. Get another pair, and move on. It would be cool to get true morph info from whoever the hospital got them from but if not, whatever. Would you rather him return the frogs and have the hospital re-distribute them? And we have another post of these mystery frogs in a few weeks? And what if they are HYBRIDS!!! oohhhh then what?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We're calling the animal hospital right now to try and get some answers. We already called the person from the pet store, who said they would be happy to take them back if they're not what we want. They didn't seem to know whether or not they were Azureus, which is kind of surprising, given the fact that from the very start, that's what we told them we were looking for. The answer was 'those are the kind we get from the animal hospital'.

Anyway, the one in the pic on the left just decided to climb the glass, so I took another picture. Maybe this will help in getting an ID. Because what I'd like to know is, are they definitely two different morphs? Because if they turn out to at least be the same, I might consider keeping them, and simply making another viv.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts