Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started researching building a viv, my plan was to put in a couple of anoles and maybe a tree frog before getting into darts. After reading several posts, I've seen that mixing species is very frowned upon, but is this mainly for darts or should I not "mix" the anole and tree frog, and was thinking a rough green snake. Another question, If I build this for the anoles will I later be able to move them to a new tank and turn this tank into a dart tank? Thank You in advance.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd build it for what you plan to keep in there. If you want darts, then start with darts and build the viv around darts. Sounds like you're planning on doing 2 vivs eventually (1 now, 1 later to move the anoles into) so why not set this one up for anoles and not worry about the move? Then later set up a dedicated dart viv.

·
Registered
215 Posts
IME, anoles tend to like a well-ventilated terrarium. My best success with lizards like anoles is with enclosures with a good percentage (or totally) screen. I have, however, seen them kept with green treefrogs in larger enclosures. They are both native to the same areas, and with the frogs active at night and anoles during the day, they do not compete much. I would not, however, mix them with a non-native species, if for anything, the number of pathogens and parasites that these WC anoles can track in that a foreign species may have absolutely no defense to can be pretty hefty.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Rough green snakes are predominately insectivorous, but its possible that they would view smaller tankmates as food. What species of anoles and treefrogs are you considering? Its pretty common for people to mix brown anoles (diurnal) and green treefrogs (nocturnal), but you will end up with happier captives if you set up species-specific enclosures. Another thing to consider is that most common anoles are wild-caught, as are many treefrogs. Keeping them in the viv can (almost certainly will) introduce parasites. These parasites, along with other nasty stuff that wcs can carry, will then be passed along to the new inhabitants (the darts).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd build it for what you plan to keep in there. If you want darts, then start with darts and build the viv around darts. Sounds like you're planning on doing 2 vivs eventually (1 now, 1 later to move the anoles into) so why not set this one up for anoles and not worry about the move? Then later set up a dedicated dart viv.
Yes, I eventually plan on doing two vivs. Also, I think you are right I'm just going to build this one for the anoles and the other one later for darts. It's the only way to be specific enough for the species. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rough green snakes are predominately insectivorous, but its possible that they would view smaller tankmates as food. What species of anoles and treefrogs are you considering? Its pretty common for people to mix brown anoles (diurnal) and green treefrogs (nocturnal), but you will end up with happier captives if you set up species-specific enclosures. Another thing to consider is that most common anoles are wild-caught, as are many treefrogs. Keeping them in the viv can (almost certainly will) introduce parasites. These parasites, along with other nasty stuff that wcs can carry, will then be passed along to the new inhabitants (the darts).
I have a really great rep/herp guy here who only deals with captive bred Anolis carolinensis, and Hylidae cinerea. (I had to deal with mites on a snake I bought from a petstore once, Lesson learned on that one!) Those are the species I am looking at. I'm worried about brown anoles as i've heard they are more aggressive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IME, anoles tend to like a well-ventilated terrarium. My best success with lizards like anoles is with enclosures with a good percentage (or totally) screen. I have, however, seen them kept with green treefrogs in larger enclosures. They are both native to the same areas, and with the frogs active at night and anoles during the day, they do not compete much. I would not, however, mix them with a non-native species, if for anything, the number of pathogens and parasites that these WC anoles can track in that a foreign species may have absolutely no defense to can be pretty hefty.
No, I wouldn't want to put anything else in this viv anyway. It would get to crowded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts