Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's pics. This tank is for imitators. Heavily planted tank! I have some extra cuttings and i'll grow them in the green house. I have 7 mother broms pupping and 3 large wandering jew red that I will take plants from.

Thanks for looking at my 23 pictures lol!

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys. This is with all the plants it'll ever have. My other thread/journal on this tank has a plant list. I got all these plants from Josh's frogs and Ebay.
Plants: $30
Tank: $5 (Goodwill)
Great stuff Gaps and Cracks: $4
Black silicone: $12
Glass for doors: $3.50 for 11 1/2" x 23 1/4" and $1.60 for 11 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Peat moss: 5 CU feet for $11.50
Light fixture (homemade): 5$
2-13w CLF bulbs: $8
Eggcrate/landscape fabric False Bottom: 20$ for 4x2 eggcrate and 120 sq ft fabric
ABG mix: $6
Cocohut: Homemade- Free
Pots: Already had them, free
Airline tubing for drainage: $4
2 weeks of work and prep: Priceless :)
Total: $111.50
I also cut a brom pup off and placed it elsewhere.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 20L tank sitting in my basement and i dont know if i should commit to building another since i already have a 60 gallon in my room with luecs. Seeing these pics makes me wanna build the 20L.BTW, did you buy the conversion kit or did u make it yourself? Also, what light fixture are you using?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great Tank and what are you planning to house? Seems like a good tank for luecs.;)

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 20L tank sitting in my basement and i dont know if i should commit to building another since i already have a 60 gallon in my room with luecs. Seeing these pics makes me wanna build the 20L.BTW, did you buy the conversion kit or did u make it yourself? Also, what light fixture are you using?
Sorry for the late reply. I made my own conversion kit. AAAfrogs has and still is waiting to get more hinges for their kits, and they were the only ones that make 29g/20 long kits. I just went to ace and bought 2 pieces of glass (sizes shown on my reply to this thread) for a few dollars. Then I wen't onto USplastics and bought a 12 inch piano hinge and cut it 1/2 an inch, then bought a set of acrylic hatches so it doesn't fall. I made the mistake of trying to save some money by making a silicone hinge and using velcro as a hatch. I ordered the new stuff to replace. I was inspired to do this by someone that has a 20L tank and set it up. His name is Krenshaw22. As for lighting, i'm using 2 -13 watt compact flurecents which give very good light and the broms are starting to show off more colour.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Tank and what are you planning to house? Seems like a good tank for luecs.;)

Haha, you seem like a luec keeper yourself :) As much as I love luecs though. this is going to house 1 imitator to start then maybe i'll get another.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tanks looking real good and nice. Ready to see it with frogs and stuff. I also added wnadering Jew and a white rabbit foot cutting into mine today also ill post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
High five on this build - very nice

You also deserve kudos on the budget build

Saw the digital therm pics - gave me tool drool HA - been tempted to pick one up - uuuhh uuhhh uhhh

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High five on this build - very nice

You also deserve kudos on the budget build

Saw the digital therm pics - gave me tool drool HA - been tempted to pick one up - uuuhh uuhhh uhhh
Yeah that digital therm is awesome, it's really come in handly and is very accurate. I just wish it could tell me the air temp and not just the surface temp.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tanks looking real good and nice. Ready to see it with frogs and stuff. I also added wnadering Jew and a white rabbit foot cutting into mine today also ill post pics tomorrow.
Thanks! The wandering jew will slowly start to take over lol. Mine has set out 2 new runners with 3 or so leaves already. I can't tell you much on the rabbits foot, but mine looks good but it has so many leaves it's hard to notice growth yet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's what I'm worried about on wandering Jew gonna have to stay a top of pruning with it. My ran its foot has one leaf on it as that's how I got the cutting and about 3 inch rhizome root

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't worry too much. if you guide it it will cover up things (if you want). I have yet to prune it, though it's defiantly not the fastest grower in my tank. Isn't your tank comepletly sealed up? I'm having people tell me that my temperature issues are from it being sealed up 100% and no tanks should be sealed. So confused :/

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine is actually not 100% closed up it has tiny slits in the back that air is let out of and I open the viv a few times a day. It keeps the plants from being to moist and allows dryer air into the viv and it keeps it from just stagnating stale air from staying in there too long.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thank you. i open my viv 4 times a day for misting/working on tank and my plants are all ok. i'm going to figure out if I can squeeze some airline tubing through the glass door and hook it up to an airpump so I can cool things down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ok thank you. i open my viv 4 times a day for misting/working on tank and my plants are all ok. i'm going to figure out if I can squeeze some airline tubing through the glass door and hook it up to an airpump so I can cool things down.
That amount of opening it should be sufficient as for the air line tubing and air pump I don't know much about that

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That amount of opening it should be sufficient as for the air line tubing and air pump I don't know much about that
I tried the airline tubing and I couldn't shut the door all the way, so that won't work. I think i'll have to get one of the AC units I have laying around here and install it but the only huge issue is my windows dont go up and down so i'd have to cut a hole in the wall.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Besides cutting a hole in your wall you couldn't drill a hole into the viv just large enough to fit the airline tubing.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Besides cutting a hole in your wall you couldn't drill a hole into the viv just large enough to fit the airline tubing.
Nope. I did a test to see how I could cut glass and there was a thin coat of glass powder on everything within 3 feet. Imagine that in my tank! I would of done that a loooong time ago for a mistking nozzle and a few other things but I didn't think of it when I was setting up this tank.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you considered what everyone else had posted about switched light cyle. Etc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts