Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have them in several tanks. They don't seem hard to care for in my situation.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I only have one so far. I would rate mine as hardy and easy to keep. Makes me want more.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They grow like weeds in a couple of my tanks with no special treatment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They are a nice addition to the tank and can be grown in the same terrarium conditions as PDFs. Like with most orchids make sure that you have a free draining substrate and it seems that they do better under direct fluorescent light. The functionality is limited in that it provides cover; as well as, improved relative humidity, but it has limited function in getting PDFs to breed. Jewel orchids can really take off and it may need to be trimmed back annually; furthermore, keep in mind that when jewel orchids are flowering it may require 14 inches or more of headroom for the flower spike. As a result, when placing your jewel orchid please make sure that you plant it as part of the ground cover and not potting/mounting it higher in the tank. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Some jewel orchids (such as goodyera hispida) prefer to be mounted in a well-draining area, such as on the side of a clay background, so that the roots do not sit in soggy substrate.

One that tolerates moist substrate very well is the chapaensis jewel. It has grown everywhere in my tanks and I have made 8 or so plantlets out of it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Jewel orchids typically do great in our vivs. Some are hardy in there but some are tricky.
I definitely recomend Macodes petola or Ludisia discolor for beginners. I myself have been growing plants for years now and still have trouble with Dossinia marmorata.
Definitely give them drainage but moist substrate. good light and directly under the bulbs but at the same time a good distance from the fixture as to not burn the leaves.

Todd

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The key thing to know about orchids is that they are ramblers, you don't plant them IN substrate, you plant them ON. Adding one to a tank? Take a cutting and just toss it in the general area you want it in. Have a whole plant you want to put in? Cut off most of the roots, and toss it in the general area you want it in... it will get busy growing new roots in it's new home ASAP.

I'm lazy, and just toss my jewels in after trimming roots and see how they do. Haven't killed any yet :D No fancy substrates needed!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
The key thing to know about orchids is that they are ramblers, you don't plant them IN substrate, you plant them ON. Adding one to a tank? Take a cutting and just toss it in the general area you want it in. Have a whole plant you want to put in? Cut off most of the roots, and toss it in the general area you want it in... it will get busy growing new roots in it's new home ASAP.

I'm lazy, and just toss my jewels in after trimming roots and see how they do. Haven't killed any yet :D No fancy substrates needed!
I've found they seem to do really well mixed with peacock moss (selaginella uncinata). The moss supports them and seems to help prevent any stem rot from direct moisture while helping to maintain a humid micro climate around the plant itself. The foliage mix is really nice too with the lush blue/green of the peacock moss and the iridescent veining of the jewel orchids mixed in. I'm basically using this mix along with miniature gesneriads and iridescent Microsorum thailandicum/ M. steerei in most of my current tanks. I really like the mix and think that will be the main plan for the future also, with a few small orchids added to the mix.

I can also vouch for Kero's observations. You can pretty much usually just throw a cutting on the surface in a moist area and it will root and ramble along. Once established, I've accidentally broken the entire plant off and have been able to just lay it somewhere moist to re-root while having the rooted broken section also re-sprout leaves and continue growing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts