Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago, I got a jewel orchid and when setting up my terrarium, put sphagnum moss over the base (which I've since realized was a big mistake). Within a week, the base of the plant where the moss was covering had rotted (pics below). I decided to remove the moss and just leave the plant and see what would happen....since then the rot hasn't spread, the smaller stems have grown a couple of leaves (and dropped a couple...) and the big main stem is now about to flower. At this point, can I just cut the stems away from the rotted base? Will they re-root if I bury the stems in substrate? Thanks!

jewel1.jpg jewel2.jpg jewel3.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it's not spreading, I would just leave it. There are types of rot caused by aggressive bacteria or fungi that will spread throughout the plant in a matter of days or weeks - I don't think that's what this is, I think you correctly assessed that constant moisture and lack of air flow caused the rot. The plant might still be using some of the roots from the old base, and you can see that the healthy stem is developing new roots (the nub on the left side of the main stem). In my experience you can easily root jewel orchids by cutting a stem that has some leaves and then planting that and it will root from the nearest node, so if you want to you can cut the stems off and bury them, but that will likely set the plant back for a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts