Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, am I crazy or does Jeff Corwin not not what he's talking about or doing? Earlier today I saw a show by him where he ran around and grabbed poison dart frogs like they couldn't be hurt, jumping out of his hands and falling the 4 feet to the ground, only to be picked up and tightly held between his fingers and his thumb. Also he said that D. auratus is the largest species of dart frogs, all I saw of it was he had a pumilio and an auratus. So am I crazy or is he an idiot?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I always liked corwin, but I did see O'shea make a huge screwup. He was searching for some super rare python in australia, and he thought he had found one. I took one look at the snake and said, "that's a spotted python, I have one in my room". It felt good to think that I knew a little more than this supposed reptile expert.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jeff Corwin is a very knowledgeable guy. Though I have not seen the episode you are referring to I can tell you Jeff works hard to be as accurate as possible with his information while safely handle the animals. He is one of the best animal TV personalities out there. That being said everyone makes mistakes. I would like to see this episode.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The position he was holding them in tightly between his fingers was around the base of their back legs so the auratus would stop jumping off him and hurting itself. This is a safe way to hold the frogs (as well as any other anuran) without hurting them, and I've used it on squirmy frogs, PDFs included, a number of times without hurting them. As freehandling the auratus didn't work out (the jumping off), he restrained it so he talk about it. Some frogs do very well with freehandling (like the RETF he showed earlier) but unless you've handled an auratus before, you might not know that.

D. auratus and D. pumilio are two of only 5 species of PDFs in Costa Rica (where he was) and from personal experience, the two easiest to find (especially pumilio). D. auratus are considered the largest dart frog for the most part.... ever seen some of the larger imported Panama aurautus? They are as big as, if not bigger, than citronellas and regina/giant oranges, which are the largest tincs. There are some epipedobates such as trivitatus and silverstonei that could also be put in the running of largest PDF, but most of the material that is out there (and Corwin would be referencing so he DID know what he is talking about) says that D. auratus are indeed the largest PDF, although I've never found out which population they are refering to.

As for O'shea, I don't know if he screwed up or not, but the snake he was looking for was related to the spotted pythons (why they might look similar), and he was in an area where spotteds weren't suppose to be found.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You better not make too much fun of Jeff Corwin or there will be problems!!! J/K! He is definitely my favorite out there though. He's funny, he loves herps(but not in a creepy way like a certain unnamed Aussie) and he is usually right on with the info too. That said I'm turning him off the day he starts using Austin Stevens' dizzying camera techniques and contrived suspense. A person could get motion sick just sitting on their couch and that tacky, B-rated horror film music is the worst.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
So Austin Steven's goes deep into the Costa Rican rainforest looking for a giant fer-de-lance (we won't mention that Corwin, on said CR ep., found a giant one at a well known research preserve) gets lost, and is aaaaaall alone and running out of food....

Wait a sec, all alone? How is he being taped if he's all alone? Doesn't a film crew require 2-4 people? Huh. Not to mention... his pics aren't all that great, and he does kinda capitalize on people's fear of snakes and isn't exactly making it any better.

Give me Corwin being "chased" by a giant chameleon over the would-be snake horror flick of Austin Steven's any day.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I saw that episode, i thought it looked okay. I have asked about this before but does anyone know the species of dart he found at the base of( i think) kaijur falls. It was in guyana, one of em or whatever. The frog was in a huge brom and was solid gold. It was a thumbnail type of frog i figure.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I've been wondering that myself! I even found a pic once of the frog on webshots or some site like that, but I never found out more.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Wait, found something. On O'Shea's web site no less :wink:

http://www.markoshea.tv/series1/series01-12.html

On there is has a pic of "the Kaieteur golden dart-poison frog (Colostethus beebei) which inhabits bromeliads on the top of the falls." Kaieteur being the name of the falls.

I knew C. beebei was a Colostethus odd-ball from what I read (bright colored and lives is broms is not the norm for that genera) but it never crossed my mind as being the Golden Frog of the Falls!

A nice close up pic can be found here:
http://www.ibike.org/ibike/guyana/gallery.htm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Corey, that's hilarious, we must have been looking at the same websites at the same time but you seem to be a bit quicker than I am. I did find a very cool site put out by the government of Guyana and they have a a good portion of a page about that particular frog (C. beebei), including a nice picture.. Thirty bucks buys the link....just joking. Here it is:
http://www.kaieteurpark.gov.gy/biodi.htm

Has anyone every heard of a bush dog before? That was new to me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My biggest problem with Corwin is that he tries too hard to be funny, most people don't notice it, he's trying to have Steve Irwins sense of humor and his sense of humor isn't really that funny. From what I've heard also, O'shea
is the only one of these 3 that doesn't stage a lot of his stuff.
Maybe in a few years someone from here can have a show on amphibians, It'd be something like Justin Yeager Dart Master. LOL
And does anyone remember Acron The Nature Nut, I laughed myself silly watching that show, that guy was just weird.
I haven't seen Austin Stevens show yet, does he only do snakes on it?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I don't think Irwin is showing a sense of humor.... he just acts nuts and people think its funny! Sounds more like you just have a thing against Corwin :wink:

Maybe of the absolutely gorgeous photos of critters you'll find are complete staged, sometimes not even anywhere near the wild, but to get the effect the photographer wants, they tweak the scene a bit. Some of the best captures and what not, murphy's law, will happen when the camera is in someone's pack. Its not easy to be a camera guy either... when you have your eye on the lense, you can't move around that easily, especially if you have to chase someone chasing a critter... not easy stuff and not really recomended. You'd also waist a hell of a lot of film. Its more efficiant to find the critter, keep track of said critter, settle down your gear and set up the camera and mic, put down the pack you're probibly carrying, wait for the light to be just right, wait some more for the light to be just right, finally when the light is just right and you can get a decent shot, then you film. Filming something like that is not easy stuff, and to illustrate what you want, staging to a certain degree is needed, especially in forests where the light is really horrid, or just completely lacking.

Turns out C. beebei has multiple morphs, ranging from the bright gold of the bromeliad group to leaf litter drab. Definately going on my list of places to visit tho, and snap pics of the gold morph!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I actually think he is funny, at first I thought he wasnt at all, but I guess his sense of humor grew on me. One my favorite episodes is when he is with the father off malcome in the middle, that guy is a realy good actor.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Jeff Corwin and O'Shea aren't that bad. Steve Irwin and Austin Stevens are ridiculous. I watched one of the first episodes of Austin Stevens when he was searching for "giant anacondas". It's basically retarded at how they do the still shots of him wrestling a 3 ft. snake, and make it dramtic. He also refers to himself much, much more than he should give himself credit. I turned it off after a few minutes, hah. As for Mr. Irwin, well....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
All those guys Steve Erwin,Jeff Corwin and O'shea are all legit. But being on TV makes them turn into a TV personality and they all have to do there own thing to get ratings and play up for the camera. On the other hand thats why I like O'shea the best. He doesnt have the same wacky gimick the others do. He just seems like a really down to earth guy that would be awsome to go herping with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I absolutely agree with Greaser! If these guys presented the information in a dry, concise, scientifically accurate manner they would not have lasted 2 weeks on TV. Even PBS and national geographic specials stage scenes and make things appear a lot more dangerous and suspenseful than they really are. And you have to remember the target audience for these shows, most of it is kids. The people want to entertain as well as educate, and I really think that they do a good job. There are still a lot of people in their 30's 40's and 50's who think that the only good snake is a dead snake and crocodilians are only good for shoes and handbags. These guys are doing a lot to change that attitude.

Plus, we are all a bunch of herp nerds (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it would be pretty tough for any TV personality to live up to our expectations.

Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
put me in the "agrees with Ed" boat.

well said Ed.

Landon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts