Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I bought and received java moss from Brian's Tropicals about a week ago, and I was just wondering how long does it usually take on average for it to start taking effect, and some sign of growth occuring. My first time with any aquatic moss.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It depends on the conditions you are keeping it in. Just try to keep it very wet and give it as much light as you can. Once the stuff settles in, it'll be growing like crazy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have it in any form of water, it will do great. I had mine on a piece of wood that had a constant film of water going down it (water fall) and it covered the 2 foot high piece in about 2-3 weeks. Completely covered. No wood visible.

Just give it time and don't be concerned about it being dead if it isn't growing fast. When its in water its failproof.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have it in any form of water, it will do great. I had mine on a piece of wood that had a constant film of water going down it (basically a drip wall) and it covered the 2 foot high piece in about 2-3 weeks. Completely covered. No wood visible.

Just give it time and don't be concerned about it being dead if it isn't growing fast. When its in water its failproof.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ive found that sometimes it grows slowly, and sometimes it grows so fast its unreal. As long as it doesn't dry out and shrivel up, it will eventually cover everything.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When I got my Java Moss I broke it up and spread it all around my viv and this is what I noticed...

Some spots it is growing FASSSST!!!!
Some spots it is growing reletivly Fast...
Some Spots it is growing moderatly...
Some spots it is growing slowly
and some spots it has died...

No $#!% right?...

But here is the trend I have noticed. The spots where I gets LOTS of water and LOTS of light... It is taking off like no ones buisness... and is growing in very dense.

Where It get lots of water and a moderate amout of light is is growing quickly but it is growing out not very dense at all it seems as if it is searching for more light.

Where it has lots of water and little light It is as if it is just slowly creeping along...

where It has lots of light but is in a dry spot... I believe it has died.

and where it has moderate water and moderate light strated out slow slow slow I almost though it was dead at one point but it then recovered and is not truckin' right along at a medium pace...

Hope this helps. (I litterally spread this stuff all over my viv to see how it would do and it is doin')

-Nick

·
Registered
249 Posts
Even if it turns brown keep it for a while. I just put some in my viv and some patches turned brown but today I went to take it out and noticed green sprouting out of the brown patches so just keep it wet and lots of light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts