Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across some Java wood for sale at a local store and was wondering if that does well in rainforest vivs? Its a very dense wood and is very heavy so i would have to be careful in its placement. If anyone has used this wood before i would love some tips if any...thank you.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I came across some Java wood for sale at a local store and was wondering if that does well in rainforest vivs? Its a very dense wood and is very heavy so i would have to be careful in its placement. If anyone has used this wood before i would love some tips if any...thank you.
If it is that dense, I would assume is was harvested primarily for the aquarium hobby. If it floats, it is not. If it does indeed "hold it's ground" underwater, it will be more than fine in a viv. I would bake it, before use either way. Another side note is that wood that molds is kind of good for the system in the viv. If it is properly seeded this will be constantly in check and will help to continue generational booms of the isos, etc.

JBear

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have not used java in my tanks, but it is used for many reptiles. I have looked at it for hobby wood building, and it is a strong compact wood. My guess would be that it will resist the water, but may not grow moss. I also so on the interent that many of them are coated with a sealer to prevent water moisture uptake and to give a shiny look. So you would have to consider that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dont know if this is the same thing but I use maylasian iron wood it is very dense, sinks in water, looks really neat and does well in vivs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts