Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to grow this? I would like to grow some in an empty tank to have plenty on hand. Would I produce more aquatically? or terrestially?

Also does anyone use any sort of fertilizer in their tank? is there anything that is safe for the frogs?

-Tad

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
tad604 said:
Whats the best way to grow this? I would like to grow some in an empty tank to have plenty on hand. Would I produce more aquatically? or terrestially?

Also does anyone use any sort of fertilizer in their tank? is there anything that is safe for the frogs?

-Tad
Tad,

The best and fastest way to grow this is aquatically. Give it plenty of light and in a few months you will be up to your ears in it.

I have heard Euro's use bone meal and blood meal as fertilizers, but I don't suggest using them. What do you want to fertilize?

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do I want to fertilize? not sure if there is anything specific, just I want a little more variety in my tanks than pothos, which seems to be thrive while everything else just moves along slowly. I've had creeping fig grow literally over the top of some pothos, and I have an alocasia that is bursting out, so its really not that bleak. Just I've bought sagenillla (sp?) and it never seems to do to well.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
tad604 said:
what do I want to fertilize? not sure if there is anything specific, just I want a little more variety in my tanks than pothos, which seems to be thrive while everything else just moves along slowly. I've had creeping fig grow literally over the top of some pothos, and I have an alocasia that is bursting out, so its really not that bleak. Just I've bought sagenillla (sp?) and it never seems to do to well.

-Tad
Tad,

What happens to the selaginella? Does it rot? I have the same problem with selaginella that you have with pothos...lol.

Here's an idea- remove the pothos. It's a great plant, but I think you are ready to move on. Have you tried any peperomia's, begonia's, or syngoniums? These usually all do well if you have sufficient light and don't water log them.

Justin

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think most of the salaginella species require an acidic soil. I've had trouble getting it going also, then when I heard about its acidity requirements, I tried putting a layer of spagnum moss down over the soil, then the salaginella. The salaginella loves it, and so do the springtails!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Brian,

This is true- I use a decent amount of peat in my soil mixture, which may contribute to my selaginella take over.

Justin

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I dont remember who or where i heard this from, but something about it needing high potassium to grow good.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i just started to get into pothos recently great plant for starter tanks, which is what im mainly building. i love to just toss it out after done, It grow so fast i always have some. Neon pothos is awesome in a tank. Why all the pothos hatred. i love it.

Ps. i always kill the selaginella sp also, but the plana form grow like a weed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts