Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently purchased some java moss from Ebay and its not exactly how I though it would be. I was under the impression that it was suppose to have very long strands and that it was aquatic? This particular batch I got is only slightly damp and looks like sheet moss. Is this just how it looks before it thrives?
The instructions say to attach it to wood or stone using sewing string, but does it have to be fully submerged?
Each baggy comes with some green netting, but doesn't say anything about its use. When I unfold the netting it only covers about one third of the area of one bag of moss? What is this for?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
if im not mistaken the netting is used as another way to secure the moss which in an aquarium will grow through it concealing the net.

james

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James you always seem to have an answer. Thankyou.
I'm guessing this net might not be of much use to conceal it to wood that is not fully submerged under water?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have java moss growing on top of my coco huts and in random places in my tanks. It doesn't have to be under water, just be sure you have good lights and mist it every day or 2x a day until it gets established. I also think it gets "leggy" searching for lights as the patch on one of my coco huts is just a cute little short green mat.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The netting is used to sandwich the moss so it can grow in a mat form. A lot of freshwater shrimp people use it in that manner. you don't have to use it with the netting because luckily planting emersed is 10x easier.

The moss will start to form long strands when it it adjusted. Make sure to keep it damp and give it a lot of light.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The net is for an aquatic bg. Whats the moss go for on ebay and is it snail free?
Yup, this is pretty common in the FW fish & especially FW shrimp hobbies, you flatten it all out and attach it to the BG via suction cups, the idea is to grow it out into a moss wall.

i.e.-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts