Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I thought I had eliminated these things when I recently rebuilt my viv. But last night I saw a tiny snail (shell about 3mm across) cruising across a piece of ghostwood.

These little snails don't really bother me , but I was wondering if they have any negative effect on the vivarium, the plants, or future frog inhabitants.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same exact thing, I see them in the water area in one of my tanks mostly at night. They either came from the water plants I put in or the piece of wood I collected from upstate NY. My snails are black and verysmall, they are not the type I usually see in the woods which are larger and a golden yellow.

sal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spiral disk snails

I think those little guys might be spiral disk snail bery common in a planted aquarium. They eat the slime coating off the plants and algae mostly so they will help them grow, I havn't seen them do anything really bad to anything besides multiplying very quickly. I would watch them and if there is enough space in water try to find a baby clown loach at a pet store those guys love to eat them. If they still dont do any harm out of water i would just smash the ones that anger you, that wont make them all go away just a little way to take out some frustration.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My mom has those little snails in her fish tank. Yeah, they come in on aquatic plants and they're virtually impossible to totally get rid of. :) However, if you own a turtle or have friends with turtles, pick out the snails every so often and feed them to the turtle. They love em. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have small snails in my imitator tank and they have eaten 10 eggs that I know of. The shell is a brown to tan color and the body has a blueish tint.
Pretty but make me very mad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are getting moved, but have to finish a few other tanks around here first. A few eggs have made it passed them long enough for me to grab them so not a complete loss. I just wanted to make sure the orginal poster knew that snails can cause bad things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:shock:

Well Since I just finished rebuilding the whole vivarium, and since I have no frogs yet, I wiull simply annihilate any of the little critters that I see!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yes, these bless/curse my imitator tank as well

Time to unleash the mega clean. But I am wondering if there is a common thread I.E. Where have you bought plants from recently? Home Depot I am sure is my culprit. When will I learn? When?
Dave

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I bought a bunch of plants from a well known vivarium source I won't name, because I'm not 100% sure my problem came from one of them. But shortly afterwards, something started wreaking havock on the ferns in my viv. I wasn't sure what was eating them, until one day I found a slug about 1" long crawling around on the glass. Living in Washington, slugs are a common sight (and problem), but I'd never seen one like this before. It was pure white. I used a knife to scrape it off and throw it away, and the problem disappeared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts