Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I can't upload the pic of the tank. But its been a while since I bullet my first Viv and now that I have this 100 gallon I figured why not..Not sure if im going to do a large colony of darts or a mixed tree frog anole gecko Viv..(no darts)...I want to have two waterfalls, with one overtop of a pond with small minnows in it. The other waterfall is going to be the starting point of a stream that leads into the pond. I have been struggling with whether I should do the false bottom or not...But anyway.The bottom layer will be lava rock with a fiberglass mesh over it(thick enough layer to act as the false bottom)..then a strip of coco. Fiber panel. Then either husk chips or the same gravel that will be used to line the stream after it. Has been sealed with silicone. The background is going to be that kitty litter background to match the color of the slate rocks for the waterfalls....Some big problems I have ran into is how I am going to filter/pump water threw the tank..Drilling holes in the tank is not an option no matter how much I want to use a dump setup. So I have thinking getting one strong pump, placed in its own container under the substrate split the water outlet between the two waterfalls. Which is another reason I wanted lava rocks at the bottom to act as a biofilter. Im currently looking for those small black smalls that breed like crazy to seed the lava rocks...This is creativity at its rawest moment of conception should I abort?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I advise against mixing species. i usually advise againt waterfalls as well, but if you are absolutely certain you want one i would recomend that you keep maintenance in mind when you construct your setup. Be sure that you can access your pump for regular routine maintenance or you will probably not do the maintenance long term, or do maintenance as often as it ought to be done. One big pump is good, but keep in mind that a slower flow rate is preferable to a rushing stream which is potentially dangerous to the vivs inhavitants. A slower flow rate is also much more manageable aka controllable. Too high a flow rate will splash all over the place, saturating the soil with water, which will cause plants to die.
That being said, 100 gallons is a great size to be working with. I'm jealous. I wish that I didn't move so often or I'd have something like that myself. Take your time building it and do your research.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks but sadly i decided to put the 100 gallon on hold, i am going to work on it for the next few months. It needs to be extensively cleaned and planned better. So now im going with a 75 or 55 gallon predrilled with a sump. The tanks come with a 404 fuval canister(too powerful ?). False-bottom but might not have A soil subtrate but just gravel,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.